Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The IRS does form matching on all W-2's. So, if the amount on your tax return does not agree to the W-2 you will get a letter from the IRS "correcting" your return amounts reported.

Your best bet would be to report the correct amount on the tax return and attach a schedule showing the amounts reported on the W-2 and how those amounts should be adjusted to the actual totals. A note on this schedule describing the situation would help too. Just write in "See Attached Schedule" on line 7 of the 1040. Another option would be to give the IRS a call and describe the situation to them and get their advice. However, it will take hours on hold to get to talk to an IRS Representative this time of year.

Good Luck!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.