No. of Recommendations: 2
The IUL has been conceded as unbeaten as a safe product (nobody is even willing to TRY to build an equally safe attempt, which tells all that needs to be heard.)
In the timeframe of interest -- 25/30/35 years -- a dead-simple Buy & hold of the S&P500 blows the socks off an IUL.
Over short timeframes an IUL often beats the S&P B&H. So what? That's not the timeframe of interest. We are talking about vehicles to accumulate money for retirement, not to save money for 3 or 5 or 10 years.

This exercise here is an exploration of an IUL's performance given the same specifically defined real-time risks as some other annually adjusted system.
Actually, I wanted to compare like-to-like. No adjusting at all, just initial deposit and annual deposits. I was never looking for an "exploration", I was only wanting to compare alternatives to see how they did in historical periods.

You keep getting hung up on drawdowns in the short term, calling that "risk", and insisting that the non-IUL alternative need to have the same year-to-year floor as the IUL. I've already explained that we are talking ONLY about money that is to be exposed to investment gains & investment risks --- the "must be safe" money is kept outside this vehicle, so there is no need to make an additional "must be safe" allocation inside this vehicle.

I'll take it as another default concession by avoidance.
Take it as whatever you want. However, simply stating a claim and then declaring victory doesn't work.

Are you *ever* going to post a spreadsheet or equity curve or anything? So far, it's all words & phrases, half of which I don't understand. I post numbers from backtests and you only shout about volatility (which you erroneously call risk)/

...default concession by avoidance...
Well, right now are in the final phase of packing for our upcoming cruise. Fedex is coming Monday to pick up our luggage and taking it to the ship. We'll be here for another few days, and won't be back until December. So I won't be able to read & discuss what you post for quite some time.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement