Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ghdawson Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19380  
Subject: The Jubilee Years Date: 11/20/2000 11:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
In Mexico what we call "retirement" or "the retirement years" is known as "The Jubilee Years." It is a time for celebration, of celebrating the life of today and tomorrow, not a time of remembering years past and retiring from living today. How much better it is to celebrate life than it is to retire from life. That attitude in itself makes for an entirely unique existence.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5630 of 19380
Subject: Re: The Jubilee Years Date: 11/21/2000 9:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Ghdawson, and welcome. You wrote:

How much better it is to celebrate life than it is to retire from life. That attitude in itself makes for an entirely unique existence.

I totally agree. And I like the term "The Jubilee Years," too.

Regards..Pixy

Author: riverlad Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5634 of 19380
Subject: Re: The Jubilee Years Date: 11/21/2000 10:46 AM
A thoroughly positive approach, not inconsistent with another Mexican celebration, "The Day of the Dead," celebrating those who have moved on from this plane of existence. How much nicer than the dreary orientation of so many other cultures!

Author: stevejhal 10+ Year Anniversary! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5635 of 19380
Subject: Re: The Jubilee Years Date: 11/21/2000 10:55 AM
I first heard the term "jubilado" quite recently in Spain, and it conveys exactly what I have been feeling this year about my own retirement. Each day is a gift.
I was a teacher for many years, and I loved my job, but I also love having the gift of current time--time to read, to volunteer, to travel. If I want paid work, that option is also available, and I'm grateful, but at this point, I say "Long live the Jubilee!"

If you enjoyed your vacation when you worked, you'll probably enjoy retirement, too. There is no law that says that one must feel guilty for the receipt of an earned reward.

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5637 of 19380
Subject: Re: The Jubilee Years Date: 11/21/2000 11:13 AM
If you enjoyed your vacation when you worked, you'll probably enjoy retirement, too. There is no law that says that one must feel guilty for the receipt of an earned reward.

I never was able to really enjoy the few vacations I took during my years in the rat race. Everytime I would plan a vacation, a bomb would drop from the sky and blow it up. Over time, I just gave up on trying to plan vacations. I know it was stupid, but that's the way it was for me. The few time I actually took a vacation, the problems from the office would follow me, so I never really was free to enjoy the vacation. Again, I know it was stupid, but that's the way it was for me. Now that I am retired, I have found that each day is a vacation. When I actually go on a planned vacation, it's like heaven on earth. The nice thing about retirement is that the vacation really never ends. As for feelings of guilt, I think that is something people who have not or cannot retire like to talk about in order to make those who have retired feel guilty. I don't feel any guilt at all, none. The term "Jubilee" is a wonderful way to describe the retirement years. I think I shall use it from now on. Thanks.

Author: rclyde One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5638 of 19380
Subject: Re: The Jubilee Years Date: 11/21/2000 12:45 PM
Oh the Jubilee Years are great.

Nowhere to go and all day to get there!
Sure does help the high blood pressure.

Author: jtmitch Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5656 of 19380
Subject: Re: The Jubilee Years Date: 11/22/2000 8:12 AM
I never was able to really enjoy the few vacations I took during my years in the rat race. Everytime I would plan a vacation, a
bomb would drop from the sky and blow it up. Over time, I just gave up on trying to plan vacations. I know it was stupid, but
that's the way it was for me. The few time I actually took a vacation, the problems from the office would follow me, so I never
really was free to enjoy the vacation.

Don't you just love it the way technology, for all its benefits, has contributed to the sort of vacation you mentioned from your rate race days? One company I worked for gave us all laptops, cell phones, pagers, etc. They actually expected us to take our laptops with us on vacation, check email on a daily basis, etc. That's a vacation??? (I used to tell them I was going out of the country -- which in a couple of cases I was -- and that seemed to reduce the expectation that I would be "in touch" every day.)

jtmitch

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5660 of 19380
Subject: Re: The Jubilee Years Date: 11/22/2000 12:30 PM
<<<. The few time I actually took a vacation, the problems from the office would follow me, so I never
really was free to enjoy the vacation. >>>

I always let the office know where to reach me but I never called in. The rule was "I'm 1000 miles away. Before you call me consider carefully if there is anything I can do from here to solve the problem. If not, don't call. Handle it yourself or find someone who is in a position to solve the problem." In 25 years I got only one call. Had me brought in from the golf course. It was important and I could handle it by phone. My staff managed to handle everything else all those years or keep them on hold until I returned.

Author: rclyde One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5661 of 19380
Subject: Re: The Jubilee Years Date: 11/22/2000 1:35 PM
Original Message

Subject: Re: The Jubilee Years
Author: billjam Date: 11/22/00 12:30 PM Number: 5660
<<<. The few time I actually took a vacation, the problems from the office would follow me, so I never
really was free to enjoy the vacation. >>>

How true? I use to go on vacation, and call the office every day. Usually the had a problem or to get me to resolve. I then changed tactics, and for the last five or six years, I furnish them an agenda and where they can get hold of me each day. Suprise, rather than bother the boss on his vacation, they would solve most the problems and phone calls from the office became very rare. Great, I can relax and not worry about whether I should call in.

Ricardo

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement