Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
The key point to report is the amount of the loss AND that you discovered the theft in 2008.

The alternative approach would be to claim this was an investment gone sour. That would make it a capital loss with all of the ordinary strings attached to such losses. The downside there is that you can't claim the loss until you can show the investment was worthless. That would require some attempts to get the money back. And those attempts would probably be sufficient to show it was a theft loss rather than a capital loss.

I think the above is a viable option. Another approach would be to treat the amount lost to the Nigerian scamsters as a bad debt if the money sent to them was supposed to be either a loan or deposit, rather than a "fee," for their promised service.

Check out Nonbusiness Bad Debts, p.103 in ,IRS Publication 17, for 2008.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.