Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: yttire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5084  
Subject: The lagging port and fire Date: 8/23/2008 5:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
My net worth really has not risen much in the past year. It has gone up- but the retirement assets actually have shrunken somewhat. What is one to make of this?

It is of course a good deal to be buying stocks- at least- relative to a year ago. The DJIA is around 11,600 while a year ago it floated around 13,250.

But from an overall FIRE pespective it is a little bit daunting. One always knows that the market is going to take some hits, and even protracted hits. But to actually be LIVING it is another story, especially when you are $70,000 behind your optimistic scenario. One is failing! The FIRE is starting to turn into FURY (Financially unbalanced retirement yearning)

Fortunately, I normally base my comparison to the projections of my realistic scenario which had a lower growth rate of 8% for the overall market. So I once was far ahead, and now only slightly ahead of this projection.

One thing that strikes home is that seven years ago I opted into a ten year mortgage, knowing I was going to "lose to the market" but that I was aiming for financial security in case my job prospects narrowed considerably (being in tech). I got a lot of grief that I was making a bad choice because I would certainly beat the 6% on the loan in the market. I wasn't so sure. The DJIA was around 11,100 at that time, and now is 11,600. Hmmm..

Some of you market beaters out there I am sure have crushed the market, but my investing skills are only of the order of beating the market slightly. But the DJIA returned 4.5% over the entire 7 years! Whereas my measly 6% return has returned 50% compounded over the same time period. Plus I am almost done paying this place off to boot.

Of course the future will bring lots of great market return so I am sure some will recommend refinancing, cashing out all the equity, and investing it in the market. Sure.

As for investing, I can't stop. Literally, there are drafts being drawn out here and there which would be difficult, or impossible, to turn off. So I keep on investing in the "down" market, and watch the whole thing with amusement.

But seriously- if I were on the VERGE of FIRE, I think I would be wetting my pants. I am curious what others of you make of a protacted dolldrum in the market with regards to your overall long term expectation of yield on your investments, and how it impacts your perspective of FIRE.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement