UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: EddieLuck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10551  
Subject: The latest list. Date: 11/10/2002 11:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 18
I made a new list today.

THINGS THAT MIGHT HURT THE ECONOMY AND STOCK MARKET.

--Rising unemployment.
--Falling industrial production.
--Rising inventories.
--Record (and rising) individualdebt/equity ratio.
--Record corporate debt/GDP ratio.
--Record (and swiftly rising) Govt debt.
--(Summarising the last three) Record overall public and private debt as a ratio to GDP. Precarious fundamentals in the credit structure.
--Tightening bank commercial lending standards.
--Record (and rising) trade deficit.
--Record (and rising) current account deficit.
--Completely unfundable future Govt. obligations including social security, Medicare, pensions, pension guarantees and the rest.
--Record (and rising) personal and corporate bankruptcies.
--High and rising Mortgage delinquencies.
--Near-record bond defaults.
--Rising credit card late payments.
--Japan deteriorating so fast I finally gave up on my investments there.
--German stock market down about 70%, along with big drops in stock markets around the world.
--Consumer confidence plunging.
--Falling sales except for cars, houses, etc. (funded by debt.)
--High energy prices.
--Wall St. scandals.
--Falling dollar/rising gold.
--Market valuations like 1929 before the crash.
--Our current position on the Dow/Price-of-gold chart. (very scary)
--A continuing tide of stifling Govt. regulation.
--A possible trend towards rising tariffs.
--Falling M3 money supply. (Started very recently) This indicates a developing liquidity trap.
--Lack of economic response to low interest rates. (There is, of course, a response as always. It's just not showing up in the numbers becase the falling rates are being overwhelmed by other factors. Without the falling rates, we would likely be in a very severe recession already)
--Signs of deflation popping up all over. Govts. and central banks impotently printing money to fight it.
--China exports defeating manufacturing in all developed countries like Japan used to, only much more so.
--The continued trend in outsourcing (overseas) of everything from auto components to programming.
--Record low capacity utilization.
--Falling real wages over the last few decades (this reduces demand)
--Rising commodity prices.

And then we have:

THINGS THAT MIGHT HELP THE ECONOMY AND STOCK MARKET.

--Low interest rates. (A dubious benefit because low rates exacerbate the already off-the-charts credit bubble)
--Rising productivity. (Normal in recessions as people desperately try to hold on to their jobs)

CONCLUSION.

Why is no one panicking? Are my wife and I the only ones left in America not using mind-altering drugs? Just what are the annual sales of anti-depressants? Are they putting something in the coffee? (I don't drink it) This is what they call being in a recovery?

This is what I call the most dangerous economic situation I have ever noticed. Has any major economy ever escaped from a situation like this without major upheavals? It looks like the coming Fall of Rome to me. While I am on the verge of retirement and not likely to be affected much, I feel sorry for the next couple of generations that will have to deal with this mess.

Ed.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement