Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196927  
Subject: The Law Date: 10/4/2012 12:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I like the United Church of Christ. They promote social justice and many churches are open to and affirming of LGBTQ people.

Then occasionally I see something like this - Today's Still Speaking devotional:

http://act.ucc.org/site/R?i=DPzsfToSrqzoTNdg43Z_RQ

Jesus didn't come to do away with the Torah; he came to write it on our hearts. He came to teach it to us so well, make us so conversant in it and so in love with it, that we would become virtuosos of the Law. He came to teach us how to make our lives masterworks of Torah, living the deep truth of it so deeply that we even seem to be breaking it sometimes. He came to teach us not to do away with it, but to fulfill it.

I have no idea what this means. So in love with it? He must be talking about a different 'Law'.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183245 of 196927
Subject: Re: The Law Date: 10/4/2012 12:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
<<
Jesus didn't come to do away with the Torah; he came to write it on our hearts. He came to teach it to us so well, make us so conversant in it and so in love with it, that we would become virtuosos of the Law. He came to teach us how to make our lives masterworks of Torah, living the deep truth of it so deeply that we even seem to be breaking it sometimes. He came to teach us not to do away with it, but to fulfill it.

I have no idea what this means. So in love with it? He must be talking about a different 'Law'.
>>

He might be thinking of what I think of as the 'Word', the problem you have is that you see the Word as what is written in the NT and the Torah as what is written in the 5 books of Moses maybe.

Read what the letter to the Hebrews says about the New covenant and the writing of his laws, word, torah, on our hearts and you may understand what this person is getting at in a different light.

The Word of God is living and active,

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183288 of 196927
Subject: Re: The Law Date: 10/5/2012 9:27 AM
Here's my theology prof. friend's take:

I think the author is thinking more like Paul and the Jewish rabbis than an evangelical or modern thinker. There was, has been, and will continue to be debates among Jewish rabbis as to what the Law is. First off, the word Torah can mean "teachings" so even the word "law" might be suspect. Second, when Jews talk about the law they are not talking about the laws...rules or commandments as much as the meaning, purpose, and power behind the law. The laws or teachings are kinds of the body while the Torah is the soul.

so, this author might be thinking more like Paul who sees the Torah or spirit of the teachings shedding its physicality and living in our hearts....

It's confusing when two very different ideas use the same word.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement