Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The letter that came with the check states it is an Income Tax Rebate. So it seems it is a rebate, but isn't a rebate a reduction in what I paid in IL income taxes in 1999?

It sounds like the first case to me, but the blurb from the Daily Southtown in the previous post seems to lean toward the second case, because it seems to indicate only those who itemized are affected.

A rebate of a portion of your 1999 state income tax is the same thing as a refund of overwithholding for 1999. It's income to you in 2000 if and only if you took an itemized deduction for state income tax on your 1999 1040. See the instructions for line 10 of the 1040.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.