Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The letter you received explaining the IRS changes to your return should also provide instructions for how to dispute the change. If the difference is truly as simple failing to calculate the tax using the capital gains and qualified dividend tax worksheet, you might try calling the contact number and explaining that. The agent may be able to correct the return on the spot. Otherwise send a letter explaining your position to the address provided. I would include only a copy of the worksheet showing the tax calculation since that's the area of disagreement and/or any other forms/schedules that are directly relevant to the disputed numbers.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.