Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The LLC would need its own TIN if the taxpayer as a sole proprietor would need his or her own TIN (e.g., if there are employees). The other time a TIN would be needed would be if the LLC was a foreign LLC...

What happens if an LLC that does not require a TIN files for one anyway? For example, a professional consultant working alone might have an LLC for liability purposes and may wish to give out the LLC's TIN instead of his own SSN. Because of the pass-through taxation, the TIN would basically be a phantom number with 0 income. Would a tax return for that TIN need to be filed as well? Does the IRS require anything else in this situation?

Thanks for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.