Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Kazim asked about The Longest Journey, so I thought I would post my remembrance of it and its sequel Dreamfall.

The Longest Journey was released in 1999 and I played it around that time. My memory is a bit hazy and my (positive) impressions may be colored by context. Twelve years of game evolution may make it seem quite bad today, but I would definitely replay it if I still had my copy.

Dreamfall came out in 2006 and I think played it about 3 years ago, so I remember it much better.

Both games compare in style to Myst, Riven, Grim Fandango and Syberia in that they are puzzle games where your character interacts with individual static scenes and it is almost impossible to get a Game Over message (a la Sierra). They are different in that I finished The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, but not the other four.

What I liked about them is that they both had interesting, complex stories that were generally well presented. Most of the puzzles in both games made sense, particularly with Dreamfall. While parts of the story were frequently very obvious, for the most part I did not feel like I knew where things were going, which kept me interested in seeing what happened next.

The bad: I remember in the Longest Journey you could use your mouse wheel to cycle through inventory items that you wanted to use. That was handy, but there were several puzzles where I did not know what I needed to do, so I would just put my cursor over an object and scroll the wheel until on object lit up as usable. You could do this in your inventory too, so I frequently had odd combinations of things that I combined at random that were actually intended for other puzzles. That helped me get through the really bizarre puzzles without the Universal Hint System, but felt like cheating to me.

The only bad I remember with Dreamfall is that the developers decided to include a few instances of combat in the game. It wasn't enough to redefine the game and they were not that challenging, but they felt out of place and poorly implemented.

Overall, if you enjoy this style of adventure game, then you will probably like The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. Steam has a demo for The Longest Journey if you want to test drive it. If Steam ever put their combo pack on sale for less than $10 I would probably buy them both a second time, but if you don't have them already I do think the $25 they charge is not a bad deal for two of the best "modern" adventure games.

The Longest Journey Demo: http://store.steampowered.com/app/6310/?snr=1_4_4__13

Combo Pack: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/320/?snr=1_4_4__13

--Scott
Print the post  

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement