UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: UhuraY2K Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4657  
Subject: The magic geranium Date: 9/9/2003 9:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
I remember this story from second grade:

Mrs. Smith lived in a drab little house with a drab little yard in the middle of a nice little street. Her house was the drabbest in the neighborhood, but she did not know what to do about it. One day, her friend Mrs. Allen came by with a geranium in a pot. "This is a magic geranium," Mrs. Allen said. "It will make your whole house beautiful."

So Mrs. Smith put the magic geranium on the drab little table in her drab little kitchen. The geranium was so bright, Mrs. Smith thought it was a shame it was on such a drab little table. "I'll paint the table, so the geranium has a nice place to rest." So she went to the paint store and bought some bright yellow paint.

Once the table was painted a nice bright yellow, Mrs. Smith looked at it and said, "It's a shame that the chairs look so drab next to the table. I'll paint them, too." So she painted the chairs a nice bright red. When she was finished she stepped back and looked at what she had done. "My table and chairs are so bright, it's a shame they're in this drab kitchen." So back to the paint store she went, and painted her kitchen a nice bright color, and bought nice bright curtains to hang in the windows.

The kitchen was so pretty, Mrs. Smith said, "The kitchen is so nice and bright, but the dining room is so drab next to it." So back to the paint store she went and painted the dining room. When she was done she looked at the dining room and said, "The dining room is so nice and bright, but the living room is so drab next to it."

Pretty soon, Mrs. Smith had painted all the rooms in her house a nice bright color. When she was finished, she said, "It's a shame that the inside of my house is so pretty, but the house is drab. That' s not right." So she painted the house a nice bright color. When she was done, she looked at what she had done and said, "Now the house is nice and bright, it's a shame the yard is so drab." So she planted pretty flowers in her yard and soon had the nicest house in the neighborhood.

Mrs. Allen came back for a visit and was amazed at the changes. "You've done a great job making your house so nice," she said.

"I didn't do anything," Mrs. Smith said. "The magic geranium you gave me made my house beautiful."
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement