Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
The main problem I see with short-selling that hasn’t been mentioned is the limited upside. It’s always a short-term trading strategy as opposed to long-term investing. Not to mention the unlimited downside of course.

The other problem with shorting stocks is you have smart people working insane schedules trying to prove you wrong. You may be right in thinking you’re smarter than the average investor in stocks like Tesla or Amazon. But it’s unlikely you’re remotely as smart as the people leading those companies.

Those people will look back and laugh one day... and when that day comes you’ll be crying in your beer if you can still afford one. Why risk it?

I only have stocks left in my 401k and companies I work(ed) for. I got out two years ago in favor of buying another house. So far that has turned out better than staying in the market. I’m patiently waiting for more rewarding times to get back into stocks. And if that day never arrives, apart from being a shocking anomaly, I’ll still retire just fine.

Mark
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement