UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7019  
Subject: Re: Michigan's prison industry Date: 2/12/2013 8:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The main problem is the destruction of the family. Boys have no positive male role models to emulate, and the girls don't learn how to successfully relate to men either.

Fair enough. And I ask this with all sincerity; how, staying within the framework of the constitution and our legal system, would you propose to address this issue?

How are you going to get the men to marry the women and stay committed? How are you going to get the men to provide for their families when they have no skills, zero work ethic (remember most had no male role models themselves). How can you convince some of the low life men that life has something better to offer? Especially when there are very very few jobs that pay more than peanuts available to them?

I am not making excuses, I am just underscoring reality. There are people that have ideas how to effect change, I have some ideas that I have discussed here. One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty; leaving dysfunctional people to their own devices will yield zero improvement, in fact things will slide downhill even worse. Ignoring the problem has resulted in the situation that we have now.

FWIW, I do not think there is much that can be done for dysfunctional adults. We pretty much are stuck with them until they die out. I would focus resources intensively on children. If the parents are not getting the job done the larger society has to step up and fill the gap. I would also do everything possible (including bribery) to prevent dysfunctional people from having more children, this is how to cut the problem off at the root. Doing these things will yield results if done correctly, but don't kid yourself, it will take a generation or three to really turn things around. I do sincerely believe that with enough public support behind the ideas, it could work.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement