No. of Recommendations: 1
The major alternative scenario would be a deflationary depression, which I wouldn't care to see at all.

The housing market is starting to cave in. Over the last three months, in my area anyway, prices on the under $100K market (mostly starter homes) have fallen about 8%.

The reason is the flip side of the housing boom. All these programs to get people into home ownership have succeeded to the point where the market is totally saturated in many areas. Since many of these buyers were lower-quality buyers based on credit, employment, etc., the recent recession (which has approached a depression in my area) has resulted in a substantial shakeout of weaker owners. Not only have bankruptcies hit historic highs, and still rising, but so have foreclosures on real estate. Sheriff's auctions in this area are at an all-time high and are expected to climb over the next few months. The consequence is that sales prices on homes are falling quickly.

How long for all this to work out? Years, I think. There is your long-term rate pressure; the risk of a deflationary depression remains, and could be imminent.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement