UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mollyd77 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4925  
Subject: The marital challenges of buying 1st rental Date: 1/26/2013 8:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have been wanting a rental property for years. I feel like this year is the time, for reasons both personal and market-wise. Husband has always listened to me talk...and talked a little...but now that I am pushing to really do this, he is starting to drag his feet.

He is astonished when I remind him that we made plans to meet with the realtor. He insisted we wait a whole month before he'd have time to scout neighborhoods together, and on the day we planned, he announced he needed to do an errand for work. He suggests we wait for a financial bequest from a relative - relative in question has no intention of dying. No money for a rental property now - he needs a new car! (We don't: his car is 5 years old, well-maintained, completely paid off and only driven approx 10 miles a day)

As I'm writing this, I'm seeing even more clearly that he is scared of this idea. I admit it will be tough and a lot of work. I've read a lot of books and taken two college courses and talked to a number of friends/acquaintances with rentals, all in order to get ready. He hasn't, which in fairness to him, is probably because he is not as interested in this.

Everyone I know that has rental properties, one spouse is more interested and the other...wasn't.

Do I just push ahead without him? (He has said we can do this, I just hate to *make* him). Try to educate him? He is the type that initially drags his feet on anything new, and then 99% of the time, embraces it happily once it's no longer new.

How did your spouse feel? Any thoughts?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement