No. of Recommendations: 1
The missing link here is how much of a freezer stash you have at home....

With DD, I had a three months supply at home in the I pumped and dumped and did not feel bad at all.

With DS, I only had about two weeks worth, maybe only 10 days. So I kept it. My first trip was only two nights away, so I kept it all refrigerated. My traveling was only about 8 hours, and my pump came with one of those refrigerated travel coolers and a freezer pack specially shaped to accommodate four 16 oz. jugs. This worked well. I refrigerated everything at the hotel and when I traveled I only needed the one cooler.

With my second trip, I was gone 4 nights. On travel day 1 (leaving home), I pumped when needed and kept it refrigerated until I got to the hotel. I froze it at the hotel and continued to freeze everything I pumped. I had a larger carry cooler (soft sides, with a shoulder strap) that was still small enough to carry on. I put all the frozen items in the bag with freezer packs. As I pumped through the day on travel day 2 (headed home), I put the newly pumped milk in with the frozen stuff to keep it cool. My travel time was only about 10-12 hours, and this worked fine for me. I suppose I could've checked the larger cooler and then carried a second small cooler on for the fresh milk, but I just didn't think about it at the time.

I traveled through a large airport, medium sized, and small. By far the smaller ones seem to "inspect" you more thoroughly. Though my child was not with me, I never had an issue (but now that I think on it, I carried on my pump so it was probably obvious). I did have one agent give me a skeptical look about the amount of milk I carried on. But the TSA website says something along the lines of carry the minimum amount you need.

I did not have any issues any of the times I traveled. I also traveled several times with DD along with a pump and fresh milk. Make sure you get into the line marked Family or Drugs or sometimes its even the line for disabled folks. Tell the first attendant you see. Also, it was a little embarrassing for me (nursing is a private matter for me, kinda like going to the bathroom...everyone may do it but I don't really want to talk about it with my colleagues!), but everyone in your party can follow you into the family line. Depending on the airport, it may make the security check go a little quicker.

As usual, I wrote to much. But I was astounded by how much I had to "figure out" when learning to nurse, work and nurse, travel and nurse, etc. because no one else I knew had. So I feel like we should all spread the wealth of knowledge when we can.

Have fun on your trip.
Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.