No. of Recommendations: 0
The money can be left where it is, in the plan run by your fianceee's former employer. Probably there are fewer choices available through that plan than would be available in an IRA at a discount brokerage. If either of you is into stock picking, the account would likely grow better in a self-administered IRA. You can also have the IRA at a mutual fund company, Vanguard being a very good choice, and invest in index funds. Over time these are likely to do well.
If you fiancee has over $2000 in earned income for 2000 from her former job, but not so much as to be ineligible for a Roth, to put $2000 into a Roth is also a good idea. A Roth is a type of account, not an investment; it can be with any suitable custodian, which includes mutual fund companies, brokers, and banks. Usually a bank is the worst choice of the three types. Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.