Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The money your father gave you may be partially
subject to gift tax, but that is your father's responsibility, not yours. He can give you up to $10000 a year without incurring gift tax. If the gift was from his wife and himself, then $15000 is OK, or if it was to you and your wife, sister, brother, etc. then also OK.
Your profit is subject to capital gains tax. You report all your gains and losses on Schedule D. Your broker will send you a complete list of moneys received from selling; you have to pair that with the net cost of each security.
There is no tax implication of buying additional stock this year. Tax is not due until you sell a stock. Thus if you buy a stock and hold it for 50 years, Uncle Sam waits patiently. You may owe on the dividends, but not on the stock.
Hope this helps. Regards, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.