Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
The moral of this story... If you want something done right.....

We just bought a nice, big, manly-man charcoal grill. I picked it out after researching and comparing features on several grills. I also paid for it. BF picked it up and paid for a cover. I started putting it together and asked BF for help (you need at least two people due to the logistics of the thing and the weight of some of the pieces...this thing has almost 500 sq. in. of grill space). BF comes out, helps me sort the pieces and count the hardware bits, then disappears into the bedroom for a mysterious telephone conversation. Shortly after, BF's father materializes, tool kit in hand. Good thing, since we were short a couple of necessary tools. BF then says he's been called in to work and leaves. I spend the next 3 hours manly-manning it with not-quite-dad-in-law. We call it a night with the thing half constructed. I call BF at work and tell him to pick up an adjustable wrench the next day on the way home. I go from work to acupuncture, then leave the acupuncture treatment with a sudden premonition that we will NOT have the right tools at home, still. I stop and buy some sockets and an adjustable wrench. I arrive home and discover BF bought a set of crescent wrenches, non-adjustable and none of which fit the bolts for the grill. The sockets and adjustable do, however. Daughter and I finish the grill while BF reports early to work again. BF calls from work to tell me that Albertson's has a great deal on charcoal and wood chips (mesquite, hickory, etc.) which he saw while there but did not buy. He also says he has decided to have a more healthy diet, so he DID buy reduced fat Oreos. The next night, daughter and I make hickory smoked chicken.

The next day, we are having friends over to barbecue. I start the coals. BF saunters out to the patio, takes a gander at the grill, and starts yelling, "MY GOD MELISSA!!! GET OUT HERE; THIS THING'S ON FIRE! ALL THE CHARCOAL IS COVERED IN FLAME!" 3 days later, daughter is still snickering, "Hey, there's flame in the barbecue! The charcoal is on fire!"
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement