UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: imdajunkman Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35351  
Subject: Re: E*Trade's Bond Commissions Date: 12/26/2006 10:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
The more I thought about the differences in bond quotes, the madder I got. So I phoned E*Trade. My first contact person was a customer service rep who didn't know bonds and therefore, couldn't answer my question. So he did the correct thing of connecting me to their bond desk. That person listened to my question and then tried to give me some nonsense about the pricing differences were due to the differences in commissions. Then I quoted the prices on a specific issue to him, the OR State 4.7's of '41, reading from their own offering lists. As an ET customer, the quote to me was 102.127. As a former Harris customer, the quote to me was 100.223. That's a hellacious spread of 1.904 points PER BOND, whereas the commission differences for doing a trade of 5 bonds in either of my accounts would be a measly $4.95.

So I asked him again, “Why the spread?” Once he realized I knew what I was talking about and that I wouldn't back away, he immediately became candid. The difference he said was between Agency Pricing and Principal Pricing at which point I interrupted him and said. “In other words, Agency Pricing is what would be the equivalent of the inside market and Principal Pricing includes a markup to which a commission is also applied”. Ruefully, he agreed that such was the case.

So, the lesson is this: demand Agency Pricing; don't settle for Principal Pricing.

Charlie

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement