UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zol Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75377  
Subject: The most popular retirement investments Date: 2/28/2014 9:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Vanguard posted late last year that 51% of workers in the retirement plans they administer are invested in target-date funds. One of the reasons may be that 68% of the plans they manage have target-date funds as the default option. I was expecting an S&P 500 fund or even cash to be most popular. I guess target-date funds appeal to the "set it and forget it" majority that do not actively manage their money.

Here is the article: https://retirementplans.vanguard.com/VGApp/pe/EducationNewsC...

- zol
Print the post Back To Top
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74310 of 75377
Subject: Re: The most popular retirement investments Date: 2/28/2014 9:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I hope before they "set it and forget it" the clients studied what they were investing in. Target-date funds vary widely in their investment strategy even though they may have the same target date. You still need to research them and pick one with a risk strategy you're comfortable with.

Author: BruceCM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74336 of 75377
Subject: Re: The most popular retirement investments Date: 2/28/2014 5:50 PM
Recommendations: 1
I believe the primary reason so many qualified retirement plans offer TDFs is because this meets the ERISA definition of a "Qualified Default Investment Alternative", which if offered, relieves the retirement plan fiduciary of fiduciary breech WHEN a 'stock-drop' occurs during market corrections and for auto-enrollment plan default investments, as well as an offering to meet investment diversification requirements when employer stock is offered as employer contributions to the plan.

From ERISA's web site on this topic:

"The final regulation provides for four types of QDIAs:

o A product with a mix of investments that takes into account the individual’s age or retirement date (an example of such a product could be a life-cycle or targeted-retirement-date fund);"...

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/newsroom/fsQDIA.html

And yes, TDFs can vary considerably, based on projected stock/bond mix by age and by the 'glide path' of the change of this mix at various future age points.

BruceM

Author: DrTarr Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74358 of 75377
Subject: Re: The most popular retirement investments Date: 3/1/2014 10:59 PM
Target-date funds vary widely in their investment strategy even though they may have the same target date. You still need to research them and pick one with a risk strategy you're comfortable with.

Unfortunately - in 401(k)s you probably don't have the ability to pick different funds, only the dates....

Happy Anniversary BruceCM!

(Target Funds)/dT

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74385 of 75377
Subject: Re: The most popular retirement investments Date: 3/3/2014 1:26 PM
But at least target fund investing means the young are investing mostly in equities as they should and those close to retirement are being more conservative and holding more bonds.

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74393 of 75377
Subject: Re: The most popular retirement investments Date: 3/4/2014 7:08 AM
Paul:

Unless you're like me and relish the chance to continue making my investments GROW in my IRA while retired. I like to be able to "pick" some "lettuce" along the way and encourage more to grow!

Vermonter

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74456 of 75377
Subject: Re: The most popular retirement investments Date: 3/9/2014 5:39 PM
"...target-date funds appeal to the "set it and forget it" majority that do not actively manage their money."

Kind of too bad. They could probably do MUCH better if they cared enough about their money to study up and learn a bit about how to invest, and how to reap rewards (dividends or growth or both), and how to shepherd their own IRA money.

Vermonter

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement