Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 756  
Subject: The most unique Date: 2/12/2000 8:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
From the Fool's explanation of message board options:

"How should the Messages be sorted? - This is one of the most unique features we have."

Aaaaaargh! --Bob
Print the post Back To Top
Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 728 of 756
Subject: Re: The most unique Date: 1/17/2004 11:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Bob says

Aaaaaargh!

I once saw a sentence in print that described something as "... unique, certainly, but not at all unusual." I wish I could find it again.

crassfool

Author: aga2002 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 742 of 756
Subject: Re: The most unique Date: 9/6/2006 2:44 PM
"How should the Messages be sorted? - This is one of the most unique features we have."

Aaaaaargh! --Bob

Bob,

so what bothers you is that is should say "unique" without "the most" since unique already implies that there are no degrees to it???

aga

Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 743 of 756
Subject: Re: The most unique Date: 9/6/2006 7:36 PM
aga2002 writes:

[S]o what bothers you is that is should say "unique" without "the most" since unique already implies that there are no degrees to it?

I reply:

Yes. "Unique" is an absolute, and should not be modified. In the phrase I quoted, a far better word would have been "distinctive." --Bob

Author: dianagram Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 744 of 756
Subject: Re: The most unique Date: 9/6/2006 11:03 PM
aga2002 writes:

[S]o what bothers you is that is should say "unique" without "the most" since unique already implies that there are no degrees to it?

I reply:

Yes. "Unique" is an absolute, and should not be modified. In the phrase I quoted, a far better word would have been "distinctive." --Bob

================

Hate to rain on the parade, but unique isn't THAT unique all the time

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=biunique

Diane
- Scrabble geek

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement