Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: path40a Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 265  
Subject: The Most Valuable Post Date: 2/4/2002 8:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I have learned a lot by reading posts in both the stock and non-stock boards at TMF since I became a registered member a little over one year ago. However, it wasn't until after 9/11 and a Fool e-mail newsletter about the "Current Events" board that I discovered there were non-stock boards. This led me to discover many other non-stock boards on TMF, and until I discovered these, I didn't have a real sense of the communities that make up TMF.

Finding "Current Events" led me to other boards such as HURL, LBYM, Great Movies, LOOTP/NADA, and PA. Each has it's own distinct identity and community of Fools. After lurking for even a short time, one gets a sense of the "personalities" which dominate each.

I've come to form an opinion that a valuable post is one that generates a lot of discussion, whether you agree with the person who posted initially or not. Some threads can last for days, even weeks, prompting many who normally just lurk to post their view on the subject as well. Rec's are used almost as "weapons" to show the strength of one view from another. The repartee can become very intense, and addictive, generating tremendous traffic to TMF site.

The most valuable post, and subsequent thread, I've seen was started by spikie last October: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15978568
spikie is somewhat of an expert on the Second Amendment (the right to bear arms) and a lot can be learned from his initial post which includes his well researched thought and those of our founding fathers and the Supreme Court. Additionally, the thread started a discussion which lasted almost three weeks with dozens of posts. I think people who were open to it were probably influenced in the viewpoint on the subject.

That, IMNSHO, speaks to the value of TMF discussion boards!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement