No. of Recommendations: 0
The NAS is slow (especially if you are mirroring drives), but I've found iSCSI (especially with bonded dual gigabit ports) to be pretty fast. I just saw the Seagate Black Armor 4 drive (empty) unit for about $285 at TigerDirect which is a heck of a deal on this sort of array. While it won't compete with the speed of the array on the Cisco Unit, paying for the electric to run that beast is more than 1/2 my bill.

I'm a big believer in redundancy and fault tolerance, so equipment with dual power supplies, dual failover network ports, RAID arrays and so on are important to me. That said, the home setup doesn't have the same budget or space that I had in my business's data center.

It's just too bad that none of the new stuff I'm looking at is rack mounted. I have a "shorty" 48" rack with a UPS, my server and an audio amp and a drawer for "other stuff" Well the draw is now getting crowded with an assortment of small routers, cable modems disk drives, "toy" GB switches and other mismatched boxes each with their own cables and power supplies.

As my setup gets more powerful (or at least "right sized") it seems to be morphing from a neat workmanlike setup to what looks like the "before" photo from a before and after set. No amount of Velcro cable wrapping seems to cure the new mess (and only makes life miserable when changes are made). It seems that, except in commercial equipment there is no attempt to help the end user create a neat environment. Even the Dell XPS has angles and weirdly placed USB ports to prevent adapting to a rack. And then there's the Seagate shoebox...

While my desk always resembles a war zone with a chronological filing system (random pile of papers), I've always made sure my equipment, tools and anything I was building was keep neat - it just make life much easier. The current designs that manufacturers are providing make it almost impossible to keep from piling equipment or using something like bookshelves to spread the boxes out.

By the way, apropos of nothing, for those looking for desktop monitor mounts, take a look at Ergotron - they may cost slightly more, but they are very well designed and built.

While I play with VM at home, my traveling setup is rather simplistic to keep weight down. I used to VPN in to my data center when I went away, but nowadays I shut the circuit breakers at home and take a "stand alone". Because there is proprietary data on the hard disk (when I used to tie in remotely, my hard disk was pretty bare), the hard disk is encrypted.

Jeff
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement