UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947220  
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 4:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The nearest shopping Mall with the higher end stores are 30/35 miles one way from where I now live. So a large population of people like me appreciate stores that offer a variety of goods without having to travel long distances.

Malls look at housing density to determine how close to build another. If you are in a smaller town, you may be considered within the draw area of na existing store, so a new one will not be built nearer--until a competitor builds another store nearer to the edge (thus pushing the radius out for target customers).

When I lived in Milwaukee I lived within a few minutes from a nice shopping mall and blocks of strip malls feeding off the people traffic. There was a W-M nearby as well. Interesting to me now was I listened to the propaganda how bad W-M was, so I never shopped there.

Precisely proving my point. You had lots of OTHER choices nearby that met your needs. Now you don't live there. So you have to plan trips to the store rather than just do it on a spur of the moment or as part of a regular shopping routine. I think I have 8-12+ grocery stores within 3-4 miles--including a Target and Kmart with mini-areas selling food--but no big box store of any other type. Those are 6-12 miles away and include several Sam's Clubs, Costco, Walmarts, SuperTargets, and more. My favorite spot is a moderate mall with Cub Foods (Supervalu), Rainbow Foods (Roundys), Target, (you see the other two from any door of any of them) and Aldis just 3-4 blocks away--in yet another moderate strip mall with more dollar stores and other misc stuff I don't really use (but convenient if I do choose to use them). Southdale is maybe 10 miles. MOA is maybe 12 miles.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement