UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (52) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WadaPhooliam Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308858  
Subject: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 8:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Recently posted at NADA by someone calling him/her self payoffmycredit:

Check out this site: http://www.payoffmycredit.com. Do you think this will work? Any insight would be great!

Un-effing believable!

Wada

Print the post Back To Top
Author: mlk58 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75696 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 8:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Un-effing believable!

You said it!

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75697 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 8:50 PM
Recommendations: 1
LOL!! Wish I'd thought of it.

This reminds me of the time someone approached me from the road as I was walking up to my daughter's (in-home) daycare. She told me that she needed money to go to her father's funeral, and her sister was in the hospital with breast cancer, and she just needed about $5 or $10 from me and everyone else on the street to go there and . . . . and. . . . and. . .

Ishtar

Author: j9drost Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75699 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 8:52 PM
Recommendations: 0
Wow. I guess when some people get into dent they get really delusional, huh?

"ooh, the internet. Complete strangers will send me dollar bills out of the goodness of their hearts so I won't have to pay interest."

Again, wow.

-j9

Author: j9drost Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75700 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 8:54 PM
I guess when some people get into dent they get really delusional, huh?

Yeah, that was supposed to be DEBT, not dent. I'm not even sure what that means! ;)

-j9

Author: WadaPhooliam Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75701 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 8:55 PM
<<LOL!! Wish I'd thought of it.

This reminds me of the time someone approached me from the road as I was walking up to my daughter's (in-home) daycare. She told me that she needed money to go to her father's funeral, and her sister was in the hospital with breast cancer, and she just needed about $5 or $10 from me and everyone else on the street to go there and . . . . and. . . . and. . .

Ishtar >>

If I weren't so close to 'retiring' (61 more days), I'd start a "WADA Retirement Fund" and solicit donations.

When my dad worked for Northrop in the 60's, somebody put out a 5 lb. coffee can with the words "Hart Fund" on it. Turns out, the person who put it out was a fellow named George Hart. My dad said he collected several hundred dollars.

Wada

Author: WadaPhooliam Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75702 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 8:57 PM
<<I guess when some people get into dent they get really delusional, huh?

Yeah, that was supposed to be DEBT, not dent. I'm not even sure what that means! ;)

-j9 >>

You may be right on BOTH counts.

Wada

Author: InvestorGrrl Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75704 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 9:07 PM
It's called "depending on the kindness of strangers." The site's author apparently is in the South, do you suppose she got the idea from Blanche DuBois?

"Depending on the kindness of strangers" isn't a novel concept. The site author is doing much better asking for cash than I did on my debt diary web pages asking only for ideas on cutting down on expenses, or rewards for reaching milestones. But then, I didn't advertise my web site on a struggling dot-com's message boards either.

IMHO, there is something crass about soliciting help by donations for personal gain, though. Where I work, new hires who haven't stayed in their jobs long enough to qualify for disability leave, family leave and other "life happens" scenarios can be recipients of donated banked sick leave time. But they must never solicit banked sick leave time.

I'd have liked to have seen some quid pro quo or "bartering items" on payoffmycredit's site: baking bread, child care, errands run, helping someone move, et cetera.

Author: WadaPhooliam Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75705 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 9:13 PM
<<I'd have liked to have seen some quid pro quo or "bartering items" on payoffmycredit's site: baking bread, child care, errands run, helping someone move, et cetera.
>>

I don't know what chutzpah sells for these days, but the person should sell it as she seems to have an abundant supply.

Wada

Author: sibyl One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75706 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 9:15 PM
Now I HAVE seen it all... cyber begging.
Geesh.

Thanks for pointing this out... though it does give this person even more publicity.

So, anyone here gonna donate to the cause?

Author: FixitWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75709 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 9:33 PM
I'd have liked to have seen some quid pro quo or "bartering items" on payoffmycredit's site: baking bread, child care, errands run, helping someone move, et cetera.

This one is under construction. At the moment there are no ads listed:
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/barter.html

This guy has the right idea. He's bartering items and selling your stuff for you on Ebay:
http://www.evilnet.net/~brianscache/barter_trade.htm

And the best was saved for last:
http://www.webswappers.com/

I'm sure there are more out there, just type in "Barter" on your favorite search engine.

Kim

Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75710 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 9:35 PM
Should I send the dollar then report back with results? Oh Hell.. here comes thunder and lightning. God must have seen me packing to go to the shore tomorrow.

Let me shut off the computer before Acts of God hurt this poor thing worse than me trying to fix it today did.

wdg :)
will not use one Delaware toll road tomorrow so she can donate her sawbuck. I already have the stamp.

Author: INSwoman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75715 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 10:38 PM
That is hilarious!! Is that true or a real scam? Anyway, thanks for the laugh! People are incredable. I would like to know if it worked!

Author: JaneLane Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75718 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 10:52 PM
New media, old idea. I wish I'd thought of it both times.

http://members.tripod.com/~earthdude1/pennies/pennies.html

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75721 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 10:57 PM
Is that true or a real scam?

Um... how could this person deliver LESS than promised to the donors?

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75723 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 11:05 PM
<<Recently posted at NADA by someone calling him/her self payoffmycredit:

Check out this site: http://www.payoffmycredit.com. Do you think this will work? Any insight would be great!

Un-effing believable!

Wada
>>

Why not? You have lots of people advertizing in the classified for babies. Sort of a pyramid scheme with only one level.

Heh, heh! I see you're doing your part to help this guy along....

Seattle Pioneer

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75724 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/11/2001 11:11 PM
<<So, anyone here gonna donate to the cause?

>>

I think this is really Wada's web site and he's shaking his tin cup hoping we'll contribute....

Seattle Pioneer

Author: WadaPhooliam Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75743 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 1:06 AM
Recommendations: 4
<<

I think this is really Wada's web site and he's shaking his tin cup hoping we'll contribute....

Seattle Pioneer >>

Damn it. Busted.

There goes the old retirement. ;-)

I didn't think that Kathryn thing would fly.

Wada

Author: covercalls Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75750 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 2:57 AM
>>>>> Check out this site: http://www.payoffmycredit. <<<<<<

Eat my shorts.

Best to all.

Author: aja91 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75755 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 8:20 AM
Recently posted at NADA by someone calling him/her self payoffmycredit:

Well, apparently she's already gotten $12 out of it. I think it costs about $35/year to register a domain name, and usually $20/month to host a site. That's about $275 she has to clear from donations just to break even over the course of a year. Perhaps she could convince some local credit card companies or credit counseling services to advertise to help pay hosting costs...

If it works, payformyrothira.com is mine!

Author: mcmitchell58 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75758 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 8:55 AM
Since I want to buy a house, I told each of my friends and co-workers that I would need them to give me $1000. I didn't think that was so much to ask.

Melissa
(Still Renting)

Author: buckzimmer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75769 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 10:15 AM
Since I want to buy a house, I told each of my friends and co-workers that I would need them to give me $1000. I didn't think that was so much to ask.

Melissa,

That reminds me of something I used to do as a gag at one place I worked. If someone wasn't at their desk, I would pick a random day on their calendar and write "give Fred $100." It never worked.

As far as this web-page, it's clever enough and (seems to be) honest enough. If someone is dumb enough to send her money, then they don't deserve to have the money in the first place.

If she gets more than $10,000, do you think the IRS surfs the web?

Fred

Author: Catleen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75774 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 10:47 AM
Melissa:

But, oddly enough, no one gave you any money did they????

Just kidding.

Catleen

Author: foolishinTX Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75775 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 10:47 AM
You guys will NEVER will this, but I had the EXACT idea the other day. It came to me in one of my 2:00 am insomnia attacks (which happen when I travel -- expecially to NJ -- the armpit of the US .... er the beautiful garden state [Sorry Slovell90]). Anyway, I digress. This idea came to me as brilliantly as the morning sun (which I was aching for).

I immediately discarded it as being really cheesy and on the unethical side.

Well, nice to know it wasn't an original thought.

Author: saruchi One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75788 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 12:02 PM
You and Kathryn get points for creativity. I'm prepared to do anything and everything to get out of my debt, except for using undignified, unethical, immoral means. Which wipes out pretty much everything except paying it all back myself. Sigh . . .

(But I'll be pee-o'd if it works for her!)

Author: foolishinTX Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75790 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 12:20 PM
I agree. It was one of those moments of weakness that I thought of it. I agree that the only way to do it is pay it back.

Author: desidou Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75806 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 1:40 PM
Wada --

Could you post the link that you found this website in? I'd like to see the orginal post, but I can't find it.

BTW -- I'm kinda new to the msg boards, what does NADA stand for?

Desi
Somewhat confused when she sees the acronym NADA

Author: Graciegirl Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75813 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 1:56 PM
I don't even mind the cyberplea for money -- on the one hand, it's kinda creative, and nothing ventured, nothing gained -- but what bothers me is that she plans to make the minimum payments, no more, on her debt.

Have I been a Fool for too long? ;-)

Author: mcmitchell58 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75820 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 2:20 PM
Melissa:

But, oddly enough, no one gave you any money did they????

Just kidding.

Catleen

Yeah, how rude!

MM

Author: WadaPhooliam Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75835 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 3:04 PM
<<Wada --

Could you post the link that you found this website in? I'd like to see the orginal post, but I can't find it.

BTW -- I'm kinda new to the msg boards, what does NADA stand for?

Desi
Somewhat confused when she sees the acronym NADA >>

The original was re-posted in its entirety, including the link.

NADA is also known as The Land Of Off Topic Posts.

Nada = Spanish word for 'nothing'. If you'd ever been there to NADA, you'd know why.

I go to NADA because nothing interests me. ;-)

Wada

Author: kittles22 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75838 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 3:13 PM
Doesn't this money have to be claimed on her TAX RETURN??? It's income right?

Author: WadaPhooliam Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75842 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 3:21 PM
<<Doesn't this money have to be claimed on her TAX RETURN??? It's income right? >>

Probably not. An individual can give up to $10,000 / year to another individual without affecting either the donor's inheritance tax liability or the donee's income tax liability.

However, receiving thousands in small individual gifts may not work that way. The IRS can be devious.

However, if the IRS hasn't covered this eventuality, I would be willing to accept donations of $9,999 from all of you this year. ;-)

Wada

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75856 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 4:43 PM

Wow! And there I thought this only happened on the NY Subways. "If you could find it in your heart to help me...I'm stranded, and I'm trying to get enough for fare home."

Sheesh! At least be artistic and play a tune on your trumpet or something. ;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75857 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 4:44 PM
Wow. I guess when some people get into dent they get really delusional, huh?

Delusional? When people get into 'dent', they can get bruised. ;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75860 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 4:46 PM
When my dad worked for Northrop in the 60's, somebody put out a 5 lb. coffee can with the words "Hart Fund" on it. Turns out, the person who put it out was a fellow named George Hart. My dad said he collected several hundred dollars.

Wada, you could do this too.

Just put a coffee can out labeled, "Wada Help?". People will just think the person who wrote the label was illiterate. ;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: Squawk1200 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75861 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 4:48 PM

I dunno -- sounds like (untaxable) gifts to me.

Author: j9drost Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75863 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 4:50 PM
Sheesh! At least be artistic and play a tune on your trumpet or something. ;-)

I always give the guys playing instruments a dollar (when I have it!), especially if they're really good, and a lot of them are.

There was a jazz band that played in Penn Station a few summers back that was great. I miss that part (and ONLY that part!) of my NYC commute.

-j9

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75866 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 4:53 PM
I don't know what chutzpah sells for these days, but the person should sell it as she seems to have an abundant supply.

Wada, I had never even heard of such a site, and I just went to it. I nearly fell outta my chair! That does take a boatload of chutzpah to do something like that, and to be honest, I don't know whom the biggest jerk is...the one who made the site begging people to send her money, or the jerks who actually sent her checks.

And as if there could be a 'can you top this' to this story...

This individual has even set it up so that people can give her money via their credit cards or bank account directly using PayPal!

Just when you've thought you've seen it all. <sigh>

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75895 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 6:35 PM
I always give the guys playing instruments a dollar (when I have it!), especially if they're really good, and a lot of them are.

There was a jazz band that played in Penn Station a few summers back that was great. I miss that part (and ONLY that part!) of my NYC commute.

J9, I'm with you! I always do the same thing. Last time I was in Penn Station, there was a fantastic clarinet player. I couldn't help dropping a buck in his case, and to be honest, the smile on his face when I did really gave me my money's worth.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Ready to Begin? Check out our upcoming seminar, "Choosing Stocks with The Motley Fool"!
http://www.foolmart.com/Shopping/Product_View.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MF2511_01&REF=CSBO03123

Author: WadaPhooliam Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75926 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 8:21 PM
<<Wada, you could do this too.

Just put a coffee can out labeled, "Wada Help?". People will just think the person who wrote the label was illiterate. ;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba >>

Yeah, nothing changes.

But here's a news flash for all of you who aren't Off2Aruba:

Tony just leased two new cars. They're made in Latvia. The company that makes them is called the Yvul Motor Car Co.

I guess this makes Tony the (wait for it......) lessor of two Yvul's.

Wada

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75929 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 8:30 PM

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!

That one hurt, Wada!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: ScrapinBy Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75932 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/12/2001 9:00 PM

I thought this was supposed to be about two bugs:

The lesser of two Weevils

Bret

Author: redhed Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75991 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/13/2001 7:52 AM
But, why anyone should care that she got herself into debt through irresponsible management of credit? Is she just so d*mn "cute" that the rest of the world should bail her out?

Her site is a classic demonstration that she feels some sort of sense of entitlement, and is not one who will take responsibility for her actions.

On the bright side, however, I guess it's better than filing bankruptcy and stiffing the cc companies all together. At least this way, we have a choice about whether or not we'll pay for her carelessness.

~r~

Author: PhulishMortal Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76078 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/13/2001 3:18 PM
Her site is a classic demonstration that she feels some sort of sense of entitlement, and is not one who will take responsibility for her actions.

Is it? I can't remember what was on the site now (after all, it was fullly minutes ago that I looked at it), but all I recall was that she said in essence, "Please give me money for nothing." Did she say anything about her debt not being her fault?

I suppose I could find the original post and see what the site says, but that would involve clicking and stuff, and I'm just not prepared to make that sort of commitment of time & energy.

PM

Author: Snowtrill Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76341 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/14/2001 11:59 AM
I'll play devils advocate.

Ok, assume there are enough people out there to help her. She gets her credit cards paid off, her student loans paid off.

Where will she be in 12 months?

What lessons has she learned about managing money?

Just thought I'd ask.

Trill

Author: microfood Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76344 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/14/2001 12:06 PM
You're asking the wrong people : )

-A.

Author: CristyneS Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76407 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/14/2001 4:23 PM
Did anyone notice that over 1300 people have went to the site. I bet she at least got enough for her next minimum payment!

Christine
( still lurking)

Author: maureenkaplan Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76408 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/14/2001 4:52 PM
LOL... reminds me of someone I saw in the Boston Subway, playing - tuba, I think - asking for donations for lessons. My friends tell me he's been there for a couple of years - and appears to be using the money for said lessons - he's getting better!

MFK

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: Catleen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76410 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/14/2001 5:00 PM
Christine:

You are making the assumption that the people that visited her site sent her money. I visited and didn't give her one cent. Nor will I. I pay my own bills. I am willing to bet there is some sort of ratio of the visits to the actual money.

Catleen

Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76851 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/18/2001 12:08 AM

Gifts don't have to be declared as income. Since the site doesn't promise any return of goods or services, I suspect this could pass the "gift" test. Someone might want to ask on the "Tax Strategies" board for a more informed opnion.

Likewise, people giving the gift cannot declare it as a tax deduction. However, if anyone sends more than $10,000 in a year to an individual as a gift, the giver will have to file a "gift tax" return (which isn't actually taxed but the amount over $10,000 will reduce the giver's estate tax credit).

Author: khughes1963 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77175 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/19/2001 1:31 PM
The sad part is that this person may not learn from the experience of having people send her money. It reminds me of the African proverb that if you give a person a fish, you feed her for a day, if you teach a person to fish, you feed that person for a lifetime. Arrested Development used this as a song lyric. It seems to me that part of becoming Foolish is learning how to fish.

Author: CristyneS Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77203 of 308858
Subject: Re: The noive of some people Date: 6/19/2001 2:47 PM
I was just thinking that out of 1300 people it maybe at least 123 people would be unfoolish enough to send $1.00 that would cover her minimum. It was just a thought! I wouldn't give her a dime, it's not in my new budget!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (52) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement