UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TomFoolNC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71047  
Subject: The NPI 2013? Date: 1/5/2013 10:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Not a great year for most in the NPI portfolio, perhaps a by-product of the change in topics on the board?

Denny, if you have an interest in doing this for 2013 I'll ride with my current picks. Cheers, Tom
Print the post Back To Top
Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65602 of 71047
Subject: Re: The NPI 2013? Date: 1/5/2013 11:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Tom, this is a good opportunity to give the new NPI cadre a chance to show their stuff. Several Fools complained about the handling of the NPI 2012 and I don't want to inconvenience them again. This is now the NNPI board!

Denny Schlesinger

Author: rjf53 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65603 of 71047
Subject: Re: The NPI 2013? Date: 1/5/2013 12:42 PM
Recommendations: 0
perhaps a by-product of the change in topics on the board?

Hi Tom,

If you go beyond the stories that made the big NPI winners, winners, and the big losers, losers, I think there is a simpler explanation to the under-performance of the picks vs. the indices.

Simply stated as the bull market has matured it is going through it's usual transition from junk/speculative stocks outperforming early into a period where more established "safer" companies have their day in the sun. Another factor IMO has been the chasing of yield and the multiple expansion that has led to with many dividend payers.

With fears of the bond market rolling over I suspect this could continue for awhile but eventually either the "safer" companies will correct or the so called junk will get to play catch up again.

With all of the money the bond markets represent any exodus from it could obviously mean good things for the stock market going forward. That being said, if the market is going to outperform I'll personally be content on pocketing out-sized gains on a smaller less equity exposed/cash heavy portfolio in the knowledge that at some point once again we'll be hearing "cash is king".

I've never understood people who claim they would like to see a correction (except for shorts) and will always be glad for profits even when they come on a smaller equity exposed portfolio. But if bad things happen I want to be in a position to afford risk when risk doesn't seem to most to be such a good idea anymore.

I expect an interesting year, although I'm far less certain how that "interesting" will play out, so I will continue in my Boy Scout mode.

Be prepared! :<)

B

Author: rjf53 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65604 of 71047
Subject: Re: The NPI 2013? Date: 1/5/2013 12:49 PM
Recommendations: 3
Tom, this is a good opportunity to give the new NPI cadre a chance to show their stuff. Several Fools complained about the handling of the NPI 2012 and I don't want to inconvenience them again. This is now the NNPI board!

Simply amazing how full of themselves some people can be.

I'm sure duma is off somewhere muttering to himself how he really showed em too.

B

Author: tamhas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65605 of 71047
Subject: Re: The NPI 2013? Date: 1/5/2013 2:45 PM
Naturally, it is so that there will be no list this year and he can crow about how poorly the "new" leadership is doing ... even though there has never actually been any leadership, just more or less active members ... when the truth of the matter is that the only reason we had a list, ever, was that one person took it upon themselves to do it.

Author: BrianMotleyFool One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65606 of 71047
Subject: Re: The NPI 2013? Date: 1/5/2013 9:24 PM
Recommendations: 4
>> Tom, this is a good opportunity to give the new NPI cadre a chance to show their stuff. Several Fools complained about the handling of the NPI 2012 and I don't want to inconvenience them again. This is now the NNPI board!

Denny Schlesinger <<

Denny,

Hope I never complained or led in any way to your decision. For the record, I think you did a great job, and thank you for all the effort. Sorry you are giving it up.

If anyone else is interested in picking it up (I can't - too much on my plate), then my 2013 picks are Exelisis (EXEL) and Clean Energy (CLNE). Last year's "all-the'N's" strategy (DNDN and INFN) was an abysmal failure, so I'll try an "all-the-E's" strategy this year. :-)

Brian

Author: BrianMotleyFool One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65607 of 71047
Subject: Re: The NPI 2013? Date: 1/5/2013 9:29 PM
Recommendations: 7
>> Naturally, it is so that there will be no list this year and he can crow about how poorly the "new" leadership is doing ... even though there has never actually been any leadership, just more or less active members ... when the truth of the matter is that the only reason we had a list, ever, was that one person took it upon themselves to do it. <<

Bit of a snarky ad hominem impugning his motives, isn't it? Is there really a need for this?

Just thinking that now the political passions have cooled a bit, can't we focus on a bit more civility and consideration?

One can hope.

For my part, I promise to do my best to give eveyone the benefit of the doubt that they are acting on their sincere beliefs with pure motives. I'll try to avoid ad hominem attacks altogether. My New Year resolution...

Brian

Author: tamhas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65609 of 71047
Subject: Re: The NPI 2013? Date: 1/6/2013 11:06 AM
Recommendations: 0
"I'm going to take my football and go home" isn't being snarky?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement