UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1956902  
Subject: The NRA is dead Date: 4/21/2013 1:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Not now, but in a generation.

A combination of demographic changes + indoctrination of tomorrow's Americans will make the NRA a net liability for politicians who favor the NRA.

A matter of time.

Jedi the Immigrant.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872929 of 1956902
Subject: Re: The NRA is dead Date: 4/24/2013 12:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A combination of demographic changes + indoctrination of tomorrow's Americans will make the NRA a net liability for politicians who favor the NRA.

A matter of time.

I doubt it. Not that there is an effort towards such indoctrination (when you have eighth-graders being suspended for wearing NRA shirts in violation of no written dress codes then it's hard to deny that indocrination exists to some degree) but how successful it will be. Per Gallup the trend is less support for gun control over the recent decades, not more. While the pendulum will certainly swing back at some point (and forth again, which is key) I don't forsee the death of the NRA as a result. Plus recent court decisions (and likely decisions in the near future) will make it far more difficult to take away the gains we now have in this regard. Vast swaths of this land are still to this day quite rural, and will remain so for a LONG time, the people in those areas aren't going to give up these gains without a stiff resistance.

Will the NRA's power wane in the future? Sure, it has nowhere to go but down at some point! But will it go away entirely in a generation? Not likely. There's a lot more support for it in families than many of the hoplophobes can even imagine. It may not be "cool" to be pro-gun, but millions still will be.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement