Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
The nuclear waste is very problematic as well. We dont need nuclear power. Or at least going forward nuclear power will have been a crude way of making electricity that we drop.

I respectfully disagree.

I think it is going to be *very* hard to migrate to a non-fossil fuel economy. The high energy density and easy transportability of fossil fuels is going to be hard to live without. In the non-fossil fuel world of the future, there are going to be very few sources of guaranteed, high-density generating capacity. The only real option for most sites is going to be nuclear, along with hydroelectric for a few fortunate locales, with a smattering of other reliable sources such as geothermal (Iceland), and tidal in a very few locations. Nuclear may make up only 30% of the energy-generation mix, with the rest being from renewable sources, but it would be hard to do without that guaranteed 30%. So if we want to continue to have a modern industrial economy, and I think most of us do, we need to make nuclear power as simple, safe, and standardized as possible.

Personally, I think the waste issue is way overblown. The amount of waste generated annually per nuclear plant is small. It loses most (99%) of its activity in 100 years and 99.9% in 1000 years, at which point it's approaching the level of radioactivity of the ore that was mined. The decay of gamma-power (power emitted as gamma radiation, which accounts for all the long range exposure, and is what requires determines shielding requirements) decays by a factor of 10^4 after 1000 years. Now 1000 years is still a long time on the human timescale, but I think we could engineer waste disposal facilities that would remain secure for 1000 years.

Source: Flower et al. (1986), Characteristics and Quantities of Radioactive Wastes, Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. London A, 319, 5.
doi: 10.1098/rsta.1986.0081

Nuclear power is an emotionally-charged issue, and people are very afraid of radiation. But the public perception and reality do not always agree. Radiation is much *less* dangerous than popularly perceived, while burning fossil fuels (and the release of CO2) are much *more* dangerous (to our future wellbeing as a society) than perceived.

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement