Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ServeHim Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 301  
Subject: Re: Purpose of This Board Date: 8/9/2001 3:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The one on the Trinity is so beautiful! His name is James White. Are you familiar with him?
I was amazed at his explaination of salvation being ALL GOD, as you stated on post #2. As a Bapist (at the time)--I was of the opinion that we had to "open the gift" God gives us all. But, I believe the Reformers have it right because "opening the gift" is works--Right?
Becky

Hello Becky!

I have heard of James White and have read just a little of his writings that were quoted in another book. (If it's the same guy, I don't really know)

Yes, the Reformers believed that salvation is of the Lord, 100%; otherwise, we would have reason to boast that we were saved and others weren't because of something in us, i.e., that we were more humble, or more smarter, or were brought up by better parents, etc. These of course would give us reason to boast even if we never boasted about it and Scripture is clear that anything that gives us reason to boast is works based. The idea of accepting Jesus or even of "having" the faith necessary to respond can become a work.

Yes God's grace and God's faith given to us is a gift. He gives us the ability to respond because being dead in sin means just that, we can't do anything for ourselves, not even grab at the life preserver because we are at the bottom of the lake very dead and cold spiritually. We first need to be made alive (as Scripture cleary reminds us) and then we can respond in faith(that was given to us)and turn to and trust completely in Jesus Christ as the only way to be saved from the wrath of God. So God loved us so much that he chose to save us from his own wrath which is a supreme act of love and mercy. The holiness of God and and the perfect justice of God demands that sinful creatures be eternally punished. And thank God that he chose Jesus to satisfy that perect justice by transferring our deserved punishment to Jesus on the Cross and transferring Jesus' perfect righteousness , which satisfied the perfect demands for God's righteous act of judgement and wrath, to us.

In Christ,

Rick
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement