Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PurpleValentimes Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 947  
Subject: The only Date: 7/23/2005 5:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
good thing about living in the middle of nowhere is you cannot just go out and buy alcohol when you want it, like now, I know, but sometimes I really do just want a drink or 5.......
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PurpleValentimes Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 917 of 947
Subject: Re: The only Date: 7/23/2005 5:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
In case you are wondering, I won't fail, I just won't

Author: gapfan Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 918 of 947
Subject: Re: The only Date: 8/5/2005 4:37 PM
Recommendations: 3
<<<In case you are wondering, I won't fail, I just won't >>>

Please do not be too proud to ask for help. Some of us are happy to help others learn how to live sober. Most of us did not know what to do to combat the urge or desire for a drink. And some self-help programs teach us "tools" to living, such as living "one day at a time."

AA helped me attain over 32 years of continuous sobriety, and I have never regretted the help they GIVE me, as I still attend on a regular basis. (Tonight is my home group meeting night.)

Wishing you success, Gapfan

Author: PurpleValentimes Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 919 of 947
Subject: Re: The only Date: 8/6/2005 12:32 PM
Recommendations: 0
Please do not be too proud to ask for help

Thank you.

Author: gapfan Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 920 of 947
Subject: Re: The only Date: 8/6/2005 10:23 PM
Recommendations: 2
My comment about being "too proud" to ask for help is not meant to be a critical comment. It is just an indication that "pride" stands in our way for help in many situations. I usually wanted solutions to problems that were "my own ideas" so I could be proud of myself for the ability to solve the problem. One problem I had was recognizing how angry a person I was. I thought I did not have anger because I did not get in fights. I would describe anger in terms that did not include me, because I was "better" than that or "different" in some way. I found (with other people's help) that they described anger in different ways, and that I indeed was a very angry person, filled with all sorts of "right and wrong" thoughts and attitudes. I had "judgements" on all sorts of situations and events.

The point is that unless one works with someone closely (perhaps a sponsor), they may not get the "feedback" which helps in a solution to a drinking problem. In attempting to describe why I drank, I might answer that it made me "feel better" in certain situations. A question became "feel better from what?". Most of the things were tenseness over how other people did things or treated me, all "judgements" and anger.

By attending AA meetings, I found others with similar situations who would share how they had overcome their problems. They were willing to share their experiences with me, and I could try that approach if I wished. It became a situation of their solutions were working and mine were not. I tried some of their ideas and they worked, and I am happy.

I have not read many of the posts in this thread as I only recently found this one, so I don't mean to offend anyone intentionally.

gapfan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement