Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
The only reason I can think of to exercise and hold the stock is if the option is about to expire. Otherwise, I'd just let the options continue to run.

Personally, I don't think holding in order to get some future gains as long term is a great idea. You have to tie up your investment capital just to potentially save a some taxes in a year or two. Maybe - if you would be willing to buy the stock in the open market and hold it. But with the options you get all of the up side potential with none of the down side risk. And with none of your money tied up.

The main reason people exercise and immediately sell is that they want to spend the money OR they want to diversify their investments. Remember - you've already got a significant financial commitment with your employer. Holding your employer's stock only adds to that financial tie to your employer. If your employer's business goes bust, you'll lose both your job and your investment with them at the same time. It's a common suggestion to exercise and sell the stock, then reinvest the proceeds in some other stock or mutual fund.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement