UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 12878  
Subject: Re: Anyone else find it funny... Date: 1/21/2013 12:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
the only thinking that has been done to the degree you suggest is of the "what can we spend the necessary political capital to actually get passed?",

I'm having a bit of trouble with that sentence. Is it 'should we spend the political capital to get something passed?"

If so, keep in mind that Obama can go for the brass ring, not worrying about re-election. Plus, he's got backing from some significant blocs; law enforcement, Catholic Church.. a lot of republicans will get branded RINo on this one. Mark my words.

rather than rigorous analysis of the practical effects of anything being proposed.

I don't know that rigorouus analysis is possible on this issue. We're sandwiched between 2 nations with porous borders, we have a non-homogenuous population, and a violent history that glorified guns. Only time wil tell, trial and error. Waiting for analysis that is acceptable to all will result in nothing getting improved.

My opinion: Fascination with guns is both immature and detrimental to our society. The role of guns in history is important, but they were just tools to implement change. They still just do one thing, the same thing they've always done. Kill stuff. If we really want to kill a lot of stuff, guns are passe. It's an atomic age. It's a drone age. Our top killers sit in cliimate controlled offices in Omaha at video consoles.

Guns are a tool I use to hunt and break clay, and then lie dormant. Out of sight, out of mind. I could care less about them when I don't intend to use them. The people I've met who live and breath guns are, generally, not the most informed intellects. They are not the ones who should be trusted with important matters. They ain't generals or presidents. They are followers. Cannon fodder.

I like more rigor with my legislation, but I'm an engineer that's just how my brain works....the requester is characterized as uncaring, as one who *wants* more people to die, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Aha... there's our disconnect. You're an engineer and I have more of an artists soul.

Seriously, I know you care. But there's always going to be disagreement as to what level of analysis CAN be achieved. Once analysis is doen, how it's accepted and interpretted leads to yet more inertia.

The cool thing about this country is that this president's executive orders can be challenged in our courts, and in 4 years we get to peacefully select a like individual or a person with a different mindset. Either way, this behemoth of a country will keep on chuggin' along.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement