UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128178  
Subject: Re: HOA - help..... Date: 9/5/2007 8:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The only way out you have is if you did not sign any documents agreeing to this. If at closing you signed documents acknowledging the existence and authority of an HOA, then you signed a contract and have to live with it.

Go through all your closing documents. Everything. There should be disclosure pages, "welcome" letters from any businesses nearby (our old house I had one of those from Intel because their fab22 -I think- was about 2 miles away), and a copy of any CC&R's from the association. You did keep all those documents, right? The copy of the covenant given you is not sufficient. If it applies to you then you signed a copy, and that's what you need to have (or not) to determine if you are obligated (or not).

What exactly does the deed of trust say? Does it say there may be an association in the future? Does it say you will be given the opportunity to vote on it? Does it say there is an active one detailed in other documents?

You could also call the HOA (likely a management company) and challenge the legality. They may have chapter and verse for you.

Our HOA was never properly filed, so it turns out what I thought was a loose association is actually a non-association. Two neighbors tried to get enough homeowners to sign-on to getting it properly established. The vote was 2-6 with 9 abstentions (i.e. they didn't return their ballots). So much for an association. :-)

1poorguy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Not Cheering the Shire Deal
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement