UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Bagdad999 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 242  
Subject: The opposite of Gravity Date: 12/4/1999 12:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The opposite of Gravity is...Comedy! But that's not what I came to discuss...only wanted to be cute. If the following is not suitable for this board, speak up and I'll transfer this somewhere else...I am interested in the opinions of the learned gathering of gentle people herein.
I tend to be verbose, I suppose I like to hear myself talk more than is good for others, and in recognizing that I'll work to keep it short and sweet.

In my middle years of late I am pondering the nature of human communication and human relatedness (in my business of emergency medicine these concepts are integral to succesful physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual outcomes). It seems that what makes humans apparently unique from other species is (1) our opposable thumb (providing for our technical abilities) (2) exquisitely complex right and left cerebral hemispheres and (3) our ability to communicate complex and abstract concepts (though I'm certainly not discounting those whale songs).
To get to the point; I wonder...

How do we discern integrity in our relationships?
How do we distinguish between the genuine and the disingenious?
How much (if not all) of our relatedness, our communications is based on trust/faith? And, what is the foundation of that trust?

I realize that these questions are not new to our species, and that the answers are as much in evolution as our ability to communicate is in evolution. As I read these boards gleaning information I am struck by how limited I am in my ability to assess the 'true' nature of a persons' representation of themselves. In my day to day world I use my 6 senses (I include a primal memory/subconscious memory as the 6th). We continuously evaluate our surroundings through input from our 5 corporal senses and evaluate it through our primal memory, always seeking to assess danger vs safety (and thereby survival). Here, on these boards, I have very limited sensing available to me in which to determine the 'what's so'. My vision sees only black and white letters, always of the same font...not sensing facial features/body posture/pupil responses. My ears sense only my dog laying at my feet dreaming of chasing squirrels, not sensing intonation and syntax of a conversation I hold electronically.

So, how do you form relationships here? How have you developed a trust of one another (that I 'sense' in purusing the threaded conversations on various boards). How do you learn to trust say, trenchrat and his judgement of future events in broadband-land? How do you know (or do you care?) that someone represents themselves and their 'knowledge' honestly? (that is without "re-inventing the wheel"..having to check each and every fact, source, etc.) I suppose this is only important if you rely on this representation in order to act, but that is what many come here to do, isn't it?...to gather information, to form opinions, and then to act on them, risking their future income (read security).
This is not meant to convey anything more than thoughts that keep me awake tonight...and desiring of relationship with some of you here gathered, I approach humbly and innocently. Share your knowledge, your experience, your insights if you choose...and I thank you.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement