UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MajorMajor78 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: Re: 401(k) allocation to eliminate s/t bond fund Date: 3/4/2011 11:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
The other members have given some good advice on whether or not to keep the bond fund. Personally I'm 100% equities like you are suggesting because my time horizon is out around 28-33 years. One important risk you should note is that there are extended periods of time where stocks fail to generate returns and having a bond component in the portfolio can keep you moving forward even in a long term bear market. A good example of this is the 2000-2009 decade where the S&P was essentailly flat. A bond portion would have ensured some small forward progress in this time. This also happened in the 30's, 70's and I believe at least one time period somewhere in the 55-64 range... it's been a while since I've read that data so my dates may be a little off but these periods do occur on a quasi-regular basis. Over a 20+ horizon stocks have always won out but it's good to keep in mind that being diversified over differnt asset classes can give you both more stable returns and a degree of flexability in differnt market conditions. Pick an asset allocation that fits your style and go with it. If that's pretty much all stocks there's nothing wrong with that.

One thing to consider though... You might actually have more REIT's in your portfolio than you realize. Vanguard Value index and ESPECIALLY Vanguard Small Cap Value index are REIT stock heavy. You easily have more than 20% of your portfolio in REIT's even if the fund name doesn't mention it. Here's a link to some data that breaks down the REIT component of various Vanguard funds. The link is a little dated but the great thing about index funds (especially Vanguard) is that they do not drastically change their fund allocations significantly or quickly so the data should be close enough for a rule of thumb guage. Perhaps somebody has a more current breakdown.

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Percentages_of_REITs_Present_...

REIT's are a good if volitile investment so if you want a large exposure to them that's great... I just want to make sure that the allocation you shoose is actually the allocation you get.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement