Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The other thing is if your condo is your primary residence,
you don't have to pay cap gains taxes anyway if you live in
it for two years, up to $250,000, $500K if married filing

Note that even if you did, you'd only pay cap gains taxes on
profit, which crudely means sale price minus sale fees/RE
commissions minus your "basis", typically the price you paid.

So, if you bought your condo for $250K, and sold it for $550K,
only ($50K - RE commissions) would be subject to cap gains tax.

(Naturally, std disclaimers apply, read relevant tax documents,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.