UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42341  
Subject: The Perils of Texting While Parenting Date: 9/30/2012 8:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Interesting discussion:

"Hope Hughes, a stay-at-home mom, was at a playground near her Chicago home with her daughter, then four, when she heard a thunk—the sound, she says, of a young boy hitting his head on equipment. She says she comforted the boy as his head swelled and he bent over, throwing up.

She says about eight minutes passed before a woman she had seen using a mobile device nearby noticed what was happening and came over. It was the boy's nanny. "She was texting or surfing or something and wasn't paying any attention," Ms. Hughes says."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087239639044477240457758...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41952 of 42341
Subject: Re: The Perils of Texting While Parenting Date: 10/1/2012 10:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
How is this different than a parent who is reading a book, a magazine, or watching television? Or having a conversation? Or simply not paying attention?

Why is this so much more interesting because someone is pointing at a device?

GSF

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41953 of 42341
Subject: Re: The Perils of Texting While Parenting Date: 10/1/2012 2:38 PM
Recommendations: 1
How is this different than a parent who is reading a book, a magazine, or watching television? Or having a conversation? Or simply not paying attention?

I think the difference is that many people say they are not distracted while texting.

I've never noticed anyone reading a book or magazine or watching TV while driving a car, however people are constantly getting caught texting and driving.

So people think they are paying attention, they think they are only looking down for a couple seconds, not minutes. I think this is the rub. This is what causes the drama. You think you are mostly paying attention, but you are not. I wouldn't read a book if I was watching my son by a pool because I know might miss something bad, but of course I wouldn't miss something if I was just firing off a couple texts.

Ford

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41954 of 42341
Subject: Re: The Perils of Texting While Parenting Date: 10/1/2012 3:23 PM
Recommendations: 0
I've never noticed anyone reading a book or magazine or watching TV while driving a car,

I once passed someone on the highway who was driving around 65mph and reading a book.

I've seen lots of folks with a GPS mounted to their windshield that they are looking at while driving, something which I personally find very distracting, so if I'm using a GPS, it's the one on my phone where it tells me the directions so that I don't have to look at it at all.

I agree with the previous poster that people get distracted with all sorts of things, and I just find texting to be another distraction, but I am not convinced that it is worse than other distractions. It is just different.

Author: wasmick Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41955 of 42341
Subject: Re: The Perils of Texting While Parenting Date: 10/1/2012 3:28 PM
Recommendations: 4
Shouldn't this thread be titled, "The Perils of Texting instead of Working"?

Last I checked, performing a job as a nanny is not the same as being the child's parent.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41956 of 42341
Subject: Re: The Perils of Texting While Parenting Date: 10/1/2012 4:34 PM
Recommendations: 0
"Why is this so much more interesting because someone is pointing at a device?"

Lots of discussion these days about how distracting electronic devices are, that's all. I thought some parents might be interested. Perhaps not. I don't text anybody because my Tracfone for some reason won't send a text and I can't figure out why. I did some Google searching and it sounded way to complicated to diagnose and I can't be bothered. For other reasons, I've told the few people who have my cell number to not bother sending me a text message for 2 reasons:

- my phone is usually buried in my briefcase and I can't hear it if it rings or beeps;

- our office building has some kind of sheilding and the phones don't work in here;

But I do understand that for some people, their texting ability is a lifeline, so this may have more relevance to them.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement