UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308424  
Subject: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/5/1998 5:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
While I really couldn't care less about all the offers I receive (as I said, I just toss 'em without opening them), it's the phone solicitations that are driving me nuts.

This must be the time of year when all the companies hire telephone solicitors to work at night and bother people. It seems that at least 3 times a week I have to be bothered by someone telling me how I just have to have this new program offered through Citibank.

I keep telling them to take my name off their call lists, and I just end up on another one.

So now, I just practice my Seinfeld routine....

Me: Hello

Them: *the pitch*

Me: (cutting them off) I'm sorry, you've really caught me at a bad time. If you'll give me your home phone number, I'll get back to you at a more convenient time.

Them: (pause)

Me: Oh, I understand. You don't want to be bothered at home.

Them: ...well...

Me: Now you know how I feel. (Click)

; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pwyles Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 835 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/5/1998 7:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I use an answering machine as a call filter. If you want to talk to me you must talk to the answering machine. Not one telephone solicitor has left me their phone number.

~~poaul

Author: TMFJedi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 839 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/6/1998 2:02 PM
<<While I really couldn't care less about all the offers I receive (as I said, I just toss 'em without
opening them), it's the phone solicitations that are driving me nuts.>>

I like your approach. :-) I, however, work such strange hours that they almsot NEVER catch me at home - so the only bother I get is "Unavailable" on my Caller ID.

One time, however, one called me at 10am on a Saturday. I don't know about you guys, but my Saturday mornings are sacrosanct. All my friends know not to call me before noon if they want to remain in one piece. Some woman calls and goes into her sales pitch. About a minute into it (once I was awake enough to speak), I just said, "Lady, you call and wake me up at 10 am on a SATURDAY and you want me to BUY something from you? Not a chance in $*@%@! Take me off your list. <click>" Haven't heard from them since. Or any other telemarketers, either. <G>

Kaiti
Jedi orbiting a weekend.

Author: Bottles Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 840 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/6/1998 3:24 PM
<<While I really couldn't care less about all the offers I receive (as I said, I just toss 'em without
opening them), it's the phone solicitations that are driving me nuts.>>

One other apporach not mentioned but sometimes I use when I have all the time in the world is to keep them on the line as long as possible. Seems rather contrary to the norm. But the reasoning is this. It wastes MORE of their money and the net result is the same. NO SALE. Never have signed up or bought anything on a phone solicitation.

I must admit to not do this to often but when I do have some time its always fun to listen to them get excited over a potential customer then they ask you once and for all, would you like product so-n-so and you say. Ahhhhh NO THANKS... GOOD BYE and Don't call me again - remove my name from your list. This after 10 -15 min of their pitch and maybe a question or to..... The let down is atleast somewhat enjoyable.

Just another way to get them back some....

Bottles

Author: jfreeman326 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 841 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/6/1998 4:40 PM
Tony,

This is the main reason I got caller ID. If it shows as "Unknown Caller" or "Private Caller", I let the answering machine handle it. In the year or so I've had it, I *believe* (I've kept no data) that the frequency of these calls is decreasing.

Jay

Author: DavidBoring One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 842 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/6/1998 7:08 PM
A couple of tactics I have heard from others:

If someone wants to get you to sign up for a credit card or other product where you need to divulge your income, say something like, "Hang on a second. I think they put that on my unemployment/welfare/disability/etc. check."

Someone else told me they like to insult the telemarketer. Asking them: What went wrong in their life that this is the best job they could get? Do they enjoy calling people while they are trying to enjoy their evenings? Do they have any aspirations in life besides talking on the phone?

Basically, the more personal the insults, the less phone calls he has received from these companies. But you have to be pretty insulting to be able to do this. Otherwise, just say "No."

David (But I'm not) Boring

Author: TMFRunkle Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 843 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/6/1998 8:38 PM
Recommendations: 1
<<Someone else told me they like to insult the telemarketer. Asking them: What went wrong in their life that this is the best job they could get? Do they enjoy calling people while they are trying to enjoy their evenings? Do they have any aspirations in life besides talking on the phone?>>

I don't want to defend telemarketing, but please have a little consideration for the people doing the work. They opened a telemarketing place south of me in Uniontown, PA. Uniontown and the surrounding towns are depressed, having once been heavily supported by the coal industry and factories. It was a real big deal, this place will pay $7 an hour, and there was a lot of excitement. I also met a guy from North Dakota who worked for a telemarketing place, and again, the economy there was garbage.

People doing the phone soliciting are only trying to earn a living. Chances are that the woman calling you at dinner is working for that telemarketing outfit in Uniontown, PA. She may live in nearby Brownsville, which looks like life stopped there in 1935, with empty shops downtown, an empty railroad station, a brewery that was converted to apartments... you get the picture. This telemarketing job probably is allowing her to buy her kids decent clothes for a change.

A simple "no thank you, please take me off your list" should suffice. Now cold calling penny stock hustlers are a different story...

George

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 844 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/6/1998 9:52 PM
<<This is the main reason I got caller ID. If it shows as "Unknown Caller" or "Private Caller", I let the answering machine handle it. In the year or so I've had it, I *believe* (I've kept no data) that the frequency of these calls is decreasing.>>

Thanks for the suggestion, Jay. Now I have to decide if adding yet one more premium feature to my phone is worth it.

Speaking of phones, since this is the credit card folder, let me share with you something I recently did.

I have had a cell phone for my wife for several years now. I just like knowing she has access to a phone in an emergency, so it's an expense that is well worth it to me.

Recently, I switched to AT&T Wireless, and since I'm going to be paying every month as always, I asked them if they could charge the monthly bills to my credit card. They said they could, and did.

Remember, I always pay my bill in full every month, so making this change doesn't put cause me any added expense.

The benefit of doing this is two-fold. First, it's one less bill I have to sit down and write a check for, and second, it gets me those extra airmiles.

I did the same thing with my DirectTV bill for my satelite dish (I'm still debating if *that* toy was worth it!).

So, here's a tip. If (and only if!) you are paying your credit card bill in full every month, consider seeing if you can have some of your regular monthly bills charged to your credit card instead of the old usual way of paying them.

Just another way of making credit cards work for you.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: AJE Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 846 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/6/1998 11:46 PM
Now that you've all vented on the Telemarketers, it's time to take a preemptive strike. If you want to reduce the # of these annoying calls, write to:
Telephone Preferences Service
Direct Marketing Association
P.O. Box 9014
Farmingdale, NY 11735-9014

Request that your name, address and telephone number be removed from the list. You can also contact the credit agencies by telephone at:
Trans Union Name Removal Opt-Out Request 1-800-680-7293
Equifax Options 1-800-841-7337
TRW Target Marketing Service 1-800-353-0809

Think of all the fun you can have calling them!

Author: jfreeman326 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 847 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/7/1998 12:04 AM
>>I did the same thing with my DirectTV bill for my satelite dish (I'm still debating if
*that* toy was worth it!).
<<

I think mine's worth it. I rate cable companies in the same league as phone solicitors. :)

Jay

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 848 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/7/1998 1:36 PM
AJE,

Thanks for providing this information. Instead of just talking about an aggravating issue, you've provided us with a course of action to take.

As one who has NEVER bought anything from a telemarketer, I'll be following through on your suggestion.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMFJedi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 849 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/7/1998 1:53 PM
<<Someone else told me they like to insult the telemarketer. Asking them:
What went wrong in their life that this is the best job they could get?
Do they enjoy calling people while they are trying to enjoy their
evenings? Do they have any aspirations in life besides talking on the
phone?
Basically, the more personal the insults, the less phone calls he has
received from these companies. But you have to be pretty insulting to be
able to do this. Otherwise, just say "No.">>

As someone who was stuck with this job for a summer, I am begging y'all NOT to do this. I lived in Omaha, NE, for quite some time, and I swear that place is the home of telemarketing. And it pays well. A lot of these people are college students who are trying to pay for school, or who are trying to make as much money as quickly as they can over the breaks, high school students working after school and on weekends, and a lot of people who do it as a second job. Sure, they could do inbound telemarketing (don't forget that when you call a 1-800 number, chances are you are talking to a telemarketer, not someone who works directly for the company you're calling (or calling about)), but the hours may not be as reliable and the pay is not as good. Telemarketers are just like anyone else trying to make a little money. They just got stuck with one of the worst jobs around.

Kaiti

Author: MikeLastort One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/11/1998 3:28 PM
>>I did the same thing with my DirectTV bill for my satelite dish (I'm still debating if *that* toy was worth it!).<<

>I think mine's worth it. I rate cable companies in the same league as phone solicitors.<

Ditto from me. I *LOVE* DirecTV and USSB. I got a call from a cable co. telemarketer, about two months after we cancelled cable. He said "is there anything we can do to get you to install cable TV again." I replied, "I bought a DSS dish, so I doubt it." He said, "oh, sorry to have bothered you," and hung up. I haven't had a call from the cable co. since!

Mike Lastort
lastort@his.com

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870 of 308424
Subject: Re: The Phone calls are the worst Date: 3/11/1998 4:32 PM
<<Ditto from me. I *LOVE* DirecTV and USSB. I got a call from a cable co. telemarketer, about two months after we cancelled cable. He said "is there anything we can do to get you to install cable TV again." I replied, "I bought a DSS dish, so I doubt it." He said, "oh, sorry to have bothered you," and hung up. I haven't had a call from the cable co. since!>>

Hey, Mike!

I hear you. I have DirecTV and had USSB (which I cancelled, as we just weren't watching any of the movies), but I'm stuck with cable too. My problem is that we enjoy the local cable programs that are only available through cable, and unless we subscribe to their "family" package, we just can't get what we like.

So, I'm "stuck" having to keep cable, and then filling in with what I want from DirecTV. But I have to say, when I add up everything, and really weigh all the programming, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't have bought the dish.

The important thing is that we have choices like this, and while we may not always be satisfied, the choices are there.

It's not unlike credit cards. We have choices as to which ones we want, and how we will decide to use them.

(and you thought I wouldn't be able to tie this post to any relevance with the credit card folder!) ; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement