UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: imdajunkman Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: Re: Looking for Yield as a Saver Date: 8/12/2006 10:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The preceding, very long post asks a simple question:

Under what conditions does Debt Instrument A offer comparable safety of nominal principal, but superior yield, to Debt Instrument B?

Answering that question is also quite simple, but it isn't easy, which explains a lot of the length of the post, which was devoted to framing the sorts of answers that would have to be found.

Some reflection this morning suggests that I'm probably wrong about the possibility of a municipal bond which is not Federal-tax exempt being state-tax exempt. But tax laws are created by lobbyists, not logicians. So what the facts are is something I'll have to find out. I do know for a fact, for having obtained Publican 101-615 from the Oregon Department of Revenue, “Interest and dividends on U.S. bonds and notes”, that at least the following Agency bonds qualify for exemption from Oregon state taxes:

A-TVA-Tennessee Valley Authority
A-SLMA- Student Loan Mkt Assn
A-REFCO- Resolution Fdg Corp
A-FHLB- Fed Home Loan Bank
A-FFCB- Fed Farm Credit Bank
A-FICO- Financing Corp

I do know, for having an account with them, that E*Trade makes a market in those bonds. So, if I can build the tools I need, then I can expand the investing universe that I permit myself as a Saver. (As an Investor, I go anywhere I please. But that's a different game.)

The facts concerning the low rate of corporate defaults in short term time frames were, frankly, a surprise. It's been years since I've looked at the available studies and I'm looking forward to digging in more deeply. I smell an opportunity along the lines of thinking that Marty Whitman uses. He argues in his “Value Investing: A Balanced Approach” (and its revision, “The Aggressive Conservative Investor”) that there is not one market, but a multiplicity of markets, each of which is assigning a different value to the same security. So the task of a value investor, who is typically an OPMI (Outside, Passive, Minority Investor) is to understand which market he is buying in and which market he is selling to. He further argues that there are bargains to be gained if you can buy cheaply (and safely) what one market is ignoring and sell dear to what another market is seeking. (For present purposes, buying and holding until maturity will be considered the transactional equivalent of a trade. You knew your entry point and your exit point, which is all that a trade is.) How are some of those unseen markets discovered? By thinking about the conventional in unconventional ways. That's the sum of my post. There's no guarantee that the idea will work. But if I don't explore ideas, for sure I'll be forever trapped in conventional ways of doing things.

Lastly, the post contains a couple of typos. I wrote “FICA” and meant “FDIC”, etc. If you spot an error, just make the needed fix and keep reading. Nothing that I post is a final version, and none of it is worth revising. It's just scratch work that I did as I explored an idea.

Charlie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement