Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BigLon One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19218  
Subject: Re: Where to live? Date: 3/30/2000 6:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The present exchange rate is 50 cents US to the New Zealand dollar. In the 9 years that I have been going to NZ it has never been higher than 64 cents US to the NZ dollar.
Gasoline is more expensive than in the US at $2.00 per gallon, but just about everything else is less. You can rent a furnished three bedroom two bath townhouse or home for $500 to $600 per month in an excellent location. This is in the South Island. North Island is higher. Other examples: Pork-----$1.10 lb---eggs---$.75 per dozen-----bannanas----$.75 dozen----whole frozen chicken---$2.00-------bread-----$.75 loaf----
current movie-----$4.00----- I have converted all the foregoing to US dollars and converted litres and kilos where appropriate.
Current movie costs $4.00-----The medical care is excellent and quite affordable even if one had to pay out of their own pocket. There is a 12.5 % GST on EVERYHING and all goods and services include the GST.
There is NO TIPPING in NZ and a full course meal including wine at a top eatery would be about $30 for two. I avoid NZ income taxes by staying only six months, November to May (spring through summer). The following web site is quite good for those interested in learning more about NZ.http://www.vnz.co.nz/

BigLon in NZ

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement