Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sazeracked One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6837  
Subject: the price points do the talking Date: 10/26/2006 1:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I vaguely remember what romance is; it's hard, but I remember. I even spent Sunday baking. So tonight I had a lady-friend (I'll override the temptation to say "woman" which sounds too formal, and "girl" which sounds too inaccurate, and go with the ever-displeasing "lady-friend" which sounds a little lightweight but also a little promising) over to watch the World Series. She's from St. Louis, she's a big Cards fan.

Now, it's a classy lady-friend, who knows wine pretty well, and I thought I would try a burgundy, I'm not going to tell you which one precisely, because they all are so finnicky and even arbitrary from vineyard to vineyard and from year to year, but I am going to tell you the price, which is not like me: $69, and that was an appealing price point that made me snicker, and not just because it was a Gevrey-Chambertin, and you can take it from there.

Unfortunately, like a fool I checked the wine up and down but not the weather, and turn on the TV and sure enough there is a rain delay going on. Wondering precisely when to uncork the wine is only part of it---wonder when to cork the horrible Fox sitcoms is the other part, the major part in fact. Finally, after twenty-five minutes languishing between expectation and embarrassment, I opt to shut down the one and uncork the other. But still, the mere act of being obliged to turn on and off a TV every fifteen minutes or so is utterly, shall we say, mood-killing.

You know that taste of burgundy when it is pretty good. It has sunlight in it, that taste. Maybe if everyone in St. Louis opened up a bottle, we could get this show on the road. But alas, it was not to be---the game was scrubbed at an ungodly hour, and now, I am left with the admirable but dubious challenge: invite her back tomorrow, and show how cheap I really am when I uncork the bottle of Rodney Strong? Or keep the little French fantasy alive and get a bottle of Nuits-St.-George? Or maybe go for something odd from Oregon in between? When you are entertaining not women, not girls, but lady-friends, on back-to-back nights, the price points do far too much of the talking, whether you want them to or not.

Best to you,

Sazeracked
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement