UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4312  
Subject: Re: The Death Panel Date: 10/16/2012 3:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The program shows that doctors try to talk family into letting the individual go. But some cannot bear to make that decision and insist on additional care--keeping people on respirators etc who have no hope of recovery. Quality of life is low. Why go on. But sometimes it takes weeks or months. And this is very expensive care.
==================================

Exactly the opposite with my MIL. Her daughter, who had medical power of attorney, would tell the doctors enough, no more surgeries. The doctors would call my DH to ask him if they could try one more thing. He couldn't say no. They ignored the power of attorney. MIL was in the hospital for 6 months and numerous surgeries, before the doctors finally said it was enough.

Looking back I wish I had been more forceful with DH, but I felt it wasn't my decision.

Jean
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement