Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19380  
Subject: Re: Home Oners Assoc. Liability Protection Date: 3/1/2012 2:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The purpose of insurance to pay for losses that may occur. Self insurance is always an option, although people do not think of it as such.

The first thing you need to do is examine your governing documents. All three HOA I have been involved with have clear specific statements that the Board members as individuals are not liable for actions/decisions as board members. In your case a $40,000 is one time $10 charge/expense per house.

Here is the one set of wording in our current governing documents, "No member of the Board of Directors of the Association or any officer of the Association . . . . shall be personally liable to any owner of any Lot for any mistake of judgment or for any other act or omission of any nature whatsoever, except for any acts or omissions found by a court of competent jurisdiction to constitute gross negligence or fraud."

Second thing to consider - what are the risks? Do you have pools, play grounds, employees (as opposed to contract workers), etc.

I tend to agree 1 M is low, but if you do not have employees or higher risk amenities such as pools and the Board members are not personally liable, it may be unnecessary. 4,000 homes is a large number and even if you suffered a huge loss of $4,000,000 that would only cost home owners $1,000 each. So absent risky amenities and with protective language, I would ask about dropping the policy.

In the event your governing documents do not provide protection for Board members as individuals, then I strongly suggest you resign from the Board. Just one irate home owner could file a suit and you personally. Then you could be personally hiring a lawyer at $500 per hour or more here in Atlanta - that is a risk only fools and the very wealthy typically take.

Gordon
Atlanta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement