Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Kasuma724 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1113  
Subject: The Question Date: 6/20/2005 9:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
A friend sent this to me the other day... not sure where she got it, so I can't give attribution. But it really made me stop and think....

St. Augustine once preached a sermon in which he proposed a kind of self-test to see if we truly love God.

"Suppose God proposed to you a deal and said, I will give you anything you want. You can possess the whole world. Nothing will be impossible for you....Nothing will be a sin, nothing forbidden. You will never die, never have pain, never have anything you do not want and always have anything you do want - except for just one thing: you will never see My face."

Augustine closed with a question.

Did a chill rise in your hearts, when you heard the words, "you will never see My face"? That chill is the most precious thing in you; that is the pure love of God.

"What good is it for man to gain the whole world yet forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:36

Print the post Back To Top
Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1077 of 1113
Subject: Re: The Question Date: 6/20/2005 9:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
crobinso's answer:

If I can't see Your face, then none of that other stuff matters.

Charles

Author: Fly2Retire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1078 of 1113
Subject: Re: The Question Date: 6/20/2005 1:59 PM
Recommendations: 0
What a truly wise answer, Charles!

Fly2Retire

Author: Kasuma724 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1079 of 1113
Subject: Re: The Question Date: 6/20/2005 2:29 PM
<<If I can't see Your face, then none of that other stuff matters.>>

That would be my answer too, if someone asked me the question directly. But what really made me think was the fact that I'm not sure my daily life shows that.

Just a point to ponder.....

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080 of 1113
Subject: Re: The Question Date: 6/20/2005 2:38 PM
That would be my answer too, if someone asked me the question directly. But what really made me think was the fact that I'm not sure my daily life shows that.

Just a point to ponder.....

No one's daily lives show that. We are only human. But, we strive for perfection even if we can never BE perfect. That's why we must walk, daily, with God, who IS perfect. By walking with Him, we are walking WITH perfection, even if not IN perfection. His guidance helps us to live a perfectly as possible under human circumstances.

Charles
:-)

Author: jiminica Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1082 of 1113
Subject: Re: The Question Date: 10/7/2005 2:30 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. I would not give up being in his presence, entering into his rest for anything. Its the Joy of my salvation. It is one of those things that just carries me through.

Author: BermudaKenn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1111 of 1113
Subject: Re: The Question Date: 5/5/2010 12:21 AM
another question, relating to the daily life mentioned in this thread;

How does the rest of the world see us?

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13386881

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement