UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (112) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: What age to take SS payments? Date: 12/3/2013 9:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The question is only an issue for a very small group of people.
* People with little money cannot delay -- so no decision needs to be made.

* People with lots of money don't need SS at all (as the saying goes: "SS for lap dances") -- so the decision is of no more importance than the decision of what size latte to buy at Starbucks.

Those two groups probably total 99% of the people eligible for SS. The remaining group is people who have enough money that they can easily get by with 8 years of not receiving SS, but not so much money that SS is immaterial.

I think you are grossly underestimating the number of people that benefit from determining the best time to take their SS. I've worked with hundreds of people that are not in the top income tax bracket to help them best determine when that year might be. In many cases, the result was to spend down some of the retirement assets now in order to secure a higher guaranteed income in the future from SS. In other cases, the result was one spouse or the other taking a small part time job to supplement income in order to postpone SS. In other cases, it was helping one spouse TURN OFF SS and repay it so that they get a better deal from SS.

The proper goal is to retire with $1M-$2M so that you don't have to depend on SS.

And how small is the percentage of people that actually do that?

There are more ways to get SS wrong than right. I strongly encourage all married individuals to spend some time determining when is the best time to take SS.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (112) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement