UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFDoraemon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 847  
Subject: Re: Why shpould I renew my subscription to the G Date: 4/15/2012 8:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The question still remains as to why a US investor not just dollar average into SPY or DJI.

Anurag,

An investor should probably dollar cost average into those vehicles or into US stocks that are within those vehicles. That's a separate decision from whether or not to invest globally.

Once you make the decision to invest globally you're largely (there are exceptions like Coke) talking about investing in companies not in the S&P, so you should measure the performance against an index of like companies.

Right now it's obvious that looking at the last 4-5 years you'd say why invest internationally when you could buy the S&P and perform better? Had we looked at data from 1998 to 2008 we would see the EFA blowing away the SPY and the question would be reversed. Why invest in the S&P when you can just invest internationally?

That's the rub, only investors don't know whether the SPY or EFA will outperform over the next five years from today.

I am still into GG for those esoteric ideas that no other service dares to explore.

Which ideas are these? I don't mind the occasional esoteric idea, but I don't have a ton of interest in them.

I would appreciate dedicated coverage on foreign focused etfs.

The right way to provide coverage of these vehicles is to dig into the top 10 - 25 holdings in each and cover them, then roll up the coverage based on their weightings in the index. That can be done, but I think it's more work than you realize and would be expensive to do -- unless the customer is also paying for the coverage of the underlying companies in the index, then rolling it up could be a throw in.

What you're really paying for there is opinions on 10-25 companies per country and the coverage of the etf is just an average of those opinions. Beyond 4 etfs you're talking about a more resource intensive endeavor than GG (assuming regular updates for earnings and trans-formative events)

The other issue is that some of these vehicles aren't really great investments, because their overweight in one or two sectors and those aren't necessarily the sectors that are the fastest growing or most attractively valued -- and that's leaving aside the question of whether an investor wants or needs exposure to them.

Just some thoughts to keep in mind as you look at country etfs.

Best,

Nathan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement