Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The question was what if you lose FDIC insurance because a CD becomes over $100000. Normally when you buy a CD, you have a choice between having the interest paid to you, probably quarterly, vs. having it added to the CD, and then getting everything, principal and compounded interest back when the CD matures.
My suggestion is that since now CDs, unusually, are paying very good rates, if the investor is worried about losing FDIC insurance on that portion of the CD which would exceed $100000, then take the interest in cash rather than having it added to the principal.
Usually, bonds pay better than CDs, but right now that isn't the case.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.