Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
The reason I think regularity is important is that it almost becomes a meta-ritual. Not only do you draw this circle and call on these deities because that's what you do in this ritual, but you do this ritual because that's what you do when it's a full moon out.

I find this is a problem with being a solitary. When you belong to an organized religion, you have other people to remind/badger you to do something. If you're not in the mood, you hang back while people around you start things until you get into the right frame of mind. Also, all of your holidays are afforded ample space on the calendar used by everyone else. Your holy day of the week and major holiday are generally days off (or have reduced hours of work).

When you are a pagan, your holidays are either overshadowed by the dominant religions or ignored. The days often fall in the middle of the week and there is some debate about the actual date. If the full moon is at noon on the 5th, for example, is the "proper" date to do a circle the night of the 4th or the night of the 5th? (I don't think it matters, but it's hard to explain that concept to someone who is used to having a holiday on a specific day.)

In addition, I follow the belief that days begin at sunset. Up here in the north, that's pretty early in the winter. To celebrate as I would like, I would have to take two days off of work for every holiday. (They don't allow half days off at my job.) The quarters and cross-quarters alone would take more than my yearly allotment of vacation.

It's also for me a matter of self-discipline, the lack of which is a big character flaw of mine.

Me too. This is getting long, so I think I'll start a new thread.

Amphian

P.S. I hope they caught the guy who stabbed your neighbor.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement